Home Technical Talk

Current art 3D laptop options?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vertrucio greentooth
So I find myself in the market for a new laptop for 3D and other freelance work, with quite a bit of money for it, about $2000 with plenty of leeway to go higher.

What are the latest and greatest in portable workstations?

So far I'm looking at (in order of likely purchase):

Dell XPS 15 or Precision 5100 - Most generically useful PC, but will have to carry my wacom tablet with me. Reasonable price, decent battery life for a power book.

Surface 3, 4 Pro, or Book Pro - Has a digitizer built in, small screen but I'm used to the size from my last laptop.

Wacom Mobile Studio Pro - Most useful for work and study, useable as a cintiq on my home PC, I can even make use of the 3D camera. Unknown reliability, extremely high price.

Sony VIAO Z Canvas - No idea of the pros and cons.

There's some kind of a studio book from HP, but my last laptop was HP and it fried itself just out of warranty, so I will never buy from them again.

I have done the usual searching, due diligence, but I'm now looking for more anecdotal info and personal experience from other artists here. The Surface line seem the most useful for working on the go, but I like the screen size and power of the XPS 15. Both have high marks for reliability. The Wacom thing is very expensive, but has a bit of everything. Even the gimmicky 3D camera in back could be very useful for my line of work.

Replies