Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

2016 Demo reel feedback

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
Hey there everyone, before I release my new reel into the wild to attempt to land my first industry role I am hoping to get some feedback be it good or bad to ensure I am showing myself off the best I can. Do not be afraid to be harsh, if something is hindering my chances I will remove or replace it. 

Does the order and flow seem good? Also music or no music? I have heard both sides, the fact that many employers mute reels while some do not.  Is it's length good, too short maybe?

I want to have the confidence to know that with this reel I could potentially land a junior role, if that means you guys tearing it to shreds and me having to delay its release I will happily do that. I intend to add my details again at the end with a link to my site, just in case people wish to see other animations that did not make the reel. On the flip side if a certain piece is liked also please tell me, who doesn't like hearing good things about their work!

New: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlX5xZWPqo

Old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvdib2NEGq0

I have also linked my old reel so you can see where I have come from to where I stand today. Thank you for the time to take a gander and reply if you choose to do so!

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Take out the pop at around 14 secs. 

At 26 secs, this scream will surely startle some poor employer. :)

Dragon shot isn't too bad.

Ogre rock shot is not very good. No weight and poor posing.

Girl falling is too mechanical.

Might be worth uploading to syncsketch so we can frame through it. I think you have potential if you really polish your shots up and start to push the timing and posing more. A loft of them feel a bit slow and lethargic which is hurting your sense of weight. Just from gameplay, I would expect the first person reload to be a bit quicker.

The ideas are there, you just need to crank it up a notch or two.

• Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for taking the time, I will remove the ogre shot in that case. Regarding the first person animations the game is a mod for Squad so the animations are more in line with realism, think Arma rather than Call of Duty. I will remove the laugh sound to ensure I'm not startling anyone. 

• AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    Its tough out there for a junior. Checked out your website. Your CV needs some work, there are quite a few grammatical errors like lack of commas and some spelling mistakes. I think it could do with cleaning up. Try finding someone who is good at that sort of thing and have them go through it. I think if an employer noticed issues in your CV, they might be turned off.
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again thank you, I shall take a look at the CV and update it. Regarding the popping at 14 seconds this is a recording error since it was 2 separate recordings and it seems the project files I used to record have long gone. Would a cross dissolve in editing be a cop out way to ease the transition? 
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    I think any way you can help the transition will help. Don't over do it. Maybe put them at different times. Right now, it just calls attention to itself which makes it a bit weird. 
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Started something towards the reel, feedback would be awesome if you find the time, thought I would throw it here rather than a new thread.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/122964/