Home General Discussion

stealing contents on youtube and earning money .

shubham kumar
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
Just an off topic , i want to get out of my head .
I am noticing channels like this two are stealing contents from original creators and getting shittone  of subscribers  and views ,
i am just curious does this things work , i mean do they actually earn by stealing content . 
what if i make a youtube channel  and upload every movie or tv series  and games trailer and clips and let fools get into the trap and subscribe my channel will it work ?  
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeroMediaHD/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWOSgEKGpS5C026lY4Y4KGw/videos 

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    They're trailers, it'll only work in their benefit if they get reuploaded.

but yeah i will at least admit it looks legally grey.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The content creator (or just a fan of the original) can flag "your" video and it will lose all money making privileges.  People use them to get subscribers so that they make more money off their own creations. So, if you dont make your own videos, it's pretty pointless. 

Not to mention uploading tv shows and movies, those videos will be taken down pretty damn fast.

Copyrights are a thing.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    It's the same thing with streaming games on twitch. It's not legal, but there's a symbiosis there between developers and streamers.
    It's kind of like someone making a commercial for your game without telling you about it. It's not like you're going to stop them from giving you free advertisement, even if they're making money out of it  due to ad revenue etc. 

Though Nintendo, Riot and Blizzard have all taken down streams and youtubers because of this. So it's the copyright holders that reign supreme. Which is also why people can for example take a Youtube video of someone playing a game of hearthstone and make their own video out of it and upload it without the hearthstone player in question being able to do anything about it. Because they don't own the copyright to the content, Blizzard does!

Not that I'm an expert so don't quote me on this. But this holds true for the EU atleast=P 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First link in OP is probably making around $4,000 a month on ads.

I considered making a game art tutorial channel at one point.  The view counts are so low it's pathetic.  When I looked at the number of views vs. something like a "Let's Play" or Twitch streamer it's a no brainer.  If you can play videogames and act like an idiot then you can make more money than actually showing how to make games. 

That said, I think streamers and Let's Play type channels are fantastic and create a lot of positive energy for games.  Pewdiepie is one of the greatest things to happen to indie games and the guy deserves all the success he's earned.

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    4.000$ ? Seriously? Thats crazy :|
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4,000 a month if its true its really illegal shit  
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Trailers are basically ads that the movie studios want people to see, so they don't really care if a trailer is "stolen" or reuploaded. You could actually argue it's a good thing if there's more exposure, and it seems like most studios have that perception. Still I don't think this behavior should be rewarded.   
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    The point of the movie trailer is for people to go and see the movie. 

If the movie studio started to take down trailers from other youtube channels it would lose them money over all.  Also, 4,000 usd a month is nothing. 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee said:
    4.000$ ? Seriously? Thats crazy :|
    I was actually way off.  It's closer to $60,000 per month.

According to Boogie, this is how to measure approximate ad revenue:
    https://youtu.be/XMUU_T-DdP8?t=1m49s

First link has about 2,000,000 daily views.  So 60 million views per month.  Divide by 1,000 and you get 60,000.
    http://vidstatsx.com/zeromediahd/youtube-channel

Socialblade says:  $18.8K - $301.1k  Estimated Monthly Earnings.  So $60,000 per month is about right.

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    That also does not take into account ad blockers. That cuts into profits. and it will be purely based on ad revenue. I think the 60k number is for the custom content. You only get money based on views if its original content. So, they still make money from the ads, yes. But not as much as someone with ads and original content. 

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    That also does not take into account ad blockers. That cuts into profits. and it will be purely based on ad revenue. I think the 60k number is for the custom content. You only get money based on views if its original content. So, they still make money from the ads, yes. But not as much as someone with ads and original content. 

There's a whole bunch of factors, also things like number of subscribers, partnerships, etc.  Original content can also work against you now if they deem it "controversial". 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also I believe YouTube changed its payout to factor in video length, so minutes watched is more important that views.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you have to be affiliated by youtube, if you are not it does not matter how many views you have. You could make money with links to websites tho. These are sites that look like they wouldnt be affiliated with youtube. The movie trailer one maybe, but flash one definitely not. 
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I red on reddit that the only one who can file a copyright claim is the owner, so the creator would have to go around trying to find his videos.  so i don't think studios will waste their time finding who is coping their videos .
    Another thing i really really hate is REACTION VIDEOS  as soon as last of us 2 and uncharted lost legacy came out at psx people started making "Reaction " videos and its nothing its the same Trailer but we have to look persons shitty face with Dead reaction which by the way gets over 125,000 views .