Home Technical Talk

Which is recommended for texturing a PBR Character: 3D Coat 4.7 or Substance Painter 2?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
brosif polycounter lvl 5
I just wanted to ask since they both seem to do very similar things at this point since 3D Coat started adding PBR texturing capabilities to their software and from what I've seen in videos, they can basically do the same thing for around the same price range and purpose. So I thought it'd be beneficial to ask which would recommend, and what are their major differences in their PBR texturing capabilities?

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Painter is more widely used for PBR, I have both and I tend favor 3d Coat since some things are easier for me, especially the way it handles layers and 4-8k resolutions without any major lag. I also like the unwrapping and retopology tools. Painter has some really nice particle brushes and better control over procedural textures.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I think the general concensus is 3D Coat for hand painted textures and Substance Painter for realistic.
  • brosif
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brosif polycounter lvl 5
    Meloncov said:
    I think the general concensus is 3D Coat for hand painted textures and Substance Painter for realistic.
    I thought that too, but I then noticed the PBR tools that 3D Coat has and wondered if they compared in any way just to know.