Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Akuma WiP Thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
Hello fellow polycounters. I wanna share my latest WiP on the project I am doing for Gilberto Magno's workshop. I hope you enjoy it. I also have a couple more shots on my artstation, in case you are interested. 
The concept is by SuAlex: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/V1vvX
I am still missing some pieces, but those will come later :) 

Replies

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so got the chance to play around in marmoset today. Can't wait to throw him into marmoset toolbag 3! Anyways still a couple of things to do till he's done. The sword, and some straps for the knee pad things, as well... they'd just fall of at this point :3 . Also want to still play more with the textures here and there. Then I will have to make a base, pose him and prepare the final shots :D . Just wanted to update the thread as well it doesn't show much wip at the moment :< 

Will probably be done before 2017 to then take on the next one! 

Feedback with lighting or maybe texture things is appreciated !
  • omar_0007
    Offline / Send Message
    omar_0007 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice facking job! Looks great! Keep going!

As far as feedback goes, the white bands on the clothing around the arms have some overlapping in the low poly, easy fix. is the armor meant to be some sort of aged bronze?
  • BrianDolan89
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianDolan89 polycounter lvl 9
    Great job modeling!
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @BrianDolan89
    Thanks man! 
    @omar_0007
    Fixed it as soon as you mentioned it, just took a little longer to post something new over here :>

Alright I'm moving on from this project, I did all I could in my current state and pushed myself quite a bit I think. Hope you guys enjoy him! There are more shots on my artstation, also some turntable renders. Showing 2 different environments since I like both of them :3 

• omar_0007
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really amazing! Can't wait to see more from you :)
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @omar_0007
    I appreciate that a lot! Thank you :) 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I can't be the only one that finds the final render incredibly boring...

The pose is... non-existent, i'd say it lacks dynamics, but it lacks anything... you've curled the fingers on one hand so he's holding a sword and that's it, you haven't actually done anything else.

Because of this, he lacks any kind of gravitas. he's just standing, and what's more there's little else in the scene to give him a sense of scale or weight. And the lighting lacks contrast overall, with nothing helping his silhouette pop. Which is a shame, because there's some lovely detailing in the high poly that's simply being washed out by bad lighting on the low poly.
  • omar_0007
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't be the only one that finds the final render incredibly boring...

The pose is... non-existent, i'd say it lacks dynamics, but it lacks anything... you've curled the fingers on one hand so he's holding a sword and that's it, you haven't actually done anything else.

Because of this, he lacks any kind of gravitas. he's just standing, and what's more there's little else in the scene to give him a sense of scale or weight. And the lighting lacks contrast overall, with nothing helping his silhouette pop. Which is a shame, because there's some lovely detailing in the high poly that's simply being washed out by bad lighting on the low poly.
    Thats some good feedback im going to steal
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir
    Thank you so much for that! I knew there was something wrong with it, but nobody would tell me. Or at least that's the feeling I got... 
    So I really appreciate the honest feedback :) 
    For the pose I really just lack patience and that is something I have to work on. I absolutely hate posing, even though I didn't want to go 
    for anything dynamic I agree that the pose is too static/boring. When posing I am very afraid to move it too much, as my rigging is uhh 
    let's say less than beginner level. Have to spend more time learning that. 

As for the lighting, as you stated above, I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing. I try to look at other people's setups, but usually 
    people say it's too dark or that they can't see much when I try something like that. Could you maybe point me to some resources? 
    Will probably look in the wiki section if I can find something myself, but just in case you have anything that helped you out at some point :) 

and again can't thank you enough for the honest critique man! 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I've found this to be really useful. you can mimic some of the softbox lights by increasing the x/y length of a light in toolbag:

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir
    Alright man thanks for hooking me up :) Will definitely use this the next time I do lighting!