Home Career & Education

How to become a faster artist?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys! I have been having this issue at office where I am much slower than all the other artists out there.. my AD keeps saying that my sculpting is quite good but my over thinking is getting in the way. I just can't figure out what to do. models seem to take excruciatingly long to sculpt. Anybody else here who is facing or has faced the same problem before? Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • schmigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schmigel polycounter lvl 2
    First, I dont think its a big problem. It only becomes a problem if you miss deadlines.
    If you superior gave you this feeback, then I think you could start thinking each steps are you slower than other people.

Also you can check if is there any practical actions that you can take to get faster, like using shortcuts or get some time to adjust you software layout? Or changing your monitor size, mouse, anything like that. All your tools have some influence in your craft.

In music every serious teacher say that to get to play faster you shoul first play slow and keeping playing faster each time.
    I think its the same with any art.

One exercise you could try is to exercise your time.
    Get a clock and give yourself 1 or 2 hour to complete a model. And dont stop for any distractions.
    Can be very hellpful to record your screen so you can watch yourself to discover the moments that you spent more time.

Hope it helped.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What schmigel said.  Keep focus on that quality, with experience you will continue to get faster.  One of the harder things to learn is when to let go.  In terms of production, always think about what the end result will look like, and how many pixels on screen your work will take up.  You may find that you are often noodling on things that a player will never be able to see, or that those things will never be important to the overall experience of the game.  As you start to get to grasps with those things, you will find yourself working much faster.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Lunch/timed speed sculpts help a ton. Just set a timer and go. You might not finish the first couple. That's fine. Just keep at it. You'l eventually pick up a ton of speed hacks.