Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Justus Improvement Thread (Critique Needed)

Serpa
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Serpa polycounter lvl 4
Hello everybody!

I am Justus and I am game art student. I want to get better at concept art, and specifically Creature design & Character design. I made this challenge for myself to get better at drawing, painting, rendering and conceptual thinking.

My focus is on creature design right now, I will make as many studies as I can, and uploaded them. I will also try to upload a new (finished) creature design every 2 weeks. 

Pleas accept my shitty english writing and my low drawing skills, and help me get better. :)

Replies

• Serpa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serpa polycounter lvl 4

So I studied cats for the past two weeks, and boy a learned a lot. Drawing from reference was relatively easy, but making a original design, that can somehow works in this world was difficult.

For this week I am going to study (wild) swines/boars. I will probably do one design a finish that piece a little more. The designs from this week feel a little bit too "sketchy".

I am going to combine the studies of the boars with a 3D school assignment, so that is going to be fun. I will keep you guys posted.

Peace

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great studies! Some pages remind me of a book I have on DaVinci anatomy sketchbooks.
  • Serpa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serpa polycounter lvl 4
    So here is a little update on the creature challenge. The two weeks are almost up and go most of my research and studies down. I already made some really rough concept and I "finished " one concept. I just made a simple side view that I am going to use for a 3D Zbrush assignment. Hopefully I have enough time to finish the other concepts a little more, and make a detailed painting from Mudscraper hog. 

Peace 

• Serpa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serpa polycounter lvl 4
    I totally forgot to thank Eric Chadwick for his reply. Thanks men :)
  • Serpa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serpa polycounter lvl 4
    So here's a little update on the creature challenges. The theme for the last couple of weeks is crabs. I did a lot of studies, and I am now working on the concept. On the side I am working on a 3D animation assignment so that is taking a lot of my time (a lot of thinks are going wrong).

I have a lot of trouble with the 
    silhouette of my creatures. I really like the knight crab, but the other concept have that generic crab feel. Do you guys have any feeback?

• Serpa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serpa polycounter lvl 4
    I am working on a new character and I was wondering if you guys have any feedback.
    The female warrior must feel feminine and strong, are the big muscle to much?

I am really struggling with the large boots and what to do with the background. I like the second background a lot more, but I am not feeling it. 

Any feedback is welcome!