Home Marmoset

scale and sss problems

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pabs polycounter lvl 11
hey guys first problem i have is the import scale is not working properly.

if my model is around average male height (180cm/6') in 3ds max, it gets imported huge in MT3.

also, AFTER rescaling my model in MT3 to fit Scale Referance Teddy the SSS is not coming out the same as MT2.

im not sure what im doing wrong , or if its a the new way the sss shader works

Replies

• Potatojim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potatojim polycounter lvl 2
    I am having this same issue. Scatter Depth slider seems to have no effect, even after scaling my model to fit the scale reference in MT3.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, the new skin shader is indeed different from the old one, so you should not expect to see exactly the same results. We're going to create some tutorial content for this, in the mean time I referenced a few posts on the Toolbag User Group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToolbagUserGroup/permalink/1307288622645956/?match=c2tpbiBzaGFkZXIsam9lIHdpbHNvbg==

• Potatojim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potatojim polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the reply!
    After looking at the images I'm guessing my problem is the scene scale, considering I didn't know that parameter existed, though I'm not at my home computer to check.
    However, seeing as I rescaled my model to fit within the scale reference featured in MT3 with no change to the effect of the Scatter Depth or Translucency Depth, does this mean that the scale reference is not linked to the scene scale?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potatojim said:
    Thanks for the reply!
    After looking at the images I'm guessing my problem is the scene scale, considering I didn't know that parameter existed, though I'm not at my home computer to check.
    However, seeing as I rescaled my model to fit within the scale reference featured in MT3 with no change to the effect of the Scatter Depth or Translucency Depth, does this mean that the scale reference is not linked to the scene scale?
    Translucency depth is linked to mesh/scene scale. Scaling the your model manually should have the same effect as changing the scene scale.

One thing to note with translucency is that direct lights are required for it to work, the sky lighting doesn't contribute to the Translucency effect, so make sure you have some direct lights in there. You can add direct lights by clicking in the sky light editor to create directional lights, or hit the light button on the top icon bar. I usually use omni or spot lights, they tend to have better shadow distribution and the falloff usually looks nicer than directional lights.