Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Damaged building development (need help)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AXEL polycounter lvl 6
All right so I'm making an old damaged building and I'm a bit stuck on making damage plaster that's in front of bricks here are my first attempts

So I'm using trim curve and trim lasso @ Zbrush to make the cuts to the plaster but I feel like it's not the best way to do this , how would you guys approach this ? (maybe using masks or in 3DS Max)
I can't find good reference images :/ dunno why ...
Also I don't like the current look it looks unrealistic and I don't really know why.
Thanks for checking this !

Replies

• Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth

Take a look here:
    http://www.textures.com/browse/damaged/10223
    You could throw something quickly together in Photoshop (copy&paste),  see how it looks, create some prototypes of the forms, then create masks from it for ZBrush and sculpt the rest.
    Or create a heightmap from images as an starting point, might be much faster since you get surface details.
    You could also create Alpha masks from the images und use them as damage stencil.

• AXEL
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL polycounter lvl 6
    @Ryusaki thanks for the advice. I have a few questions regarding that ..
    1st how to create a mask from a PS file ?
    2nd I couldn't find a way to cut out masked parts from the mesh (google was only showing how to delete meshes) is it possible to convert mask in to separate group, hide, and then delete hidden ?
    3rd how would I make cuts in the mesh using height maps ?
    4th Again no idea how to cut out parts of the mesh using alpha masks.

Sorry about so many questions, I just really want to know these things
    Thanks for the ref images I did go over these and they are good but I'm looking for things like damage around windows, doors etc.
    Quick example of what I was looking for (not the best)

• AXEL
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL polycounter lvl 6
    I found a way to make cuts with masks :)
  • AXEL
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL polycounter lvl 6
    Update:

What do you think? Whats good, whats bad ?
    Please CnC :)