Home General Discussion

help with Google Earth 3d query?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
claydough polycounter lvl 10
Not sure although I think I am looking at the some kind of humongous violent Crystalline result?
( I was doing research on the sprawling network of tubes that go on forever in the industrial refineries in and around Houston )
take a gander please at the following Google earth link in 3D! ( as much as I ctrl click orbit the view and refresh I always get what looks like a crystalline city! Not the refinery spires in the background but the obvious crystal forest in the foreground ) :)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29°44'54.3"N+94°59'30.8"W/@29.7492946,-94.9899653,37a,20y,232.88h,83.79t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d29.748419!4d-94.991882

My imagination is running wild since the large plot in question is located within an oil refinery.
In the tableau in my head there was some kind of chemical process gone haywire or perhaps a chemical fire where an emergency retardant acted as a catalyst? Resulting in the insta-gro giant emerald forest?

I tried google street view from the closest street but the view is either absent or blocked.  :(

Crash landing of a meteorite piloted by an alien race that have a crystalline cellular structure. They have been seeding planets with crystal life in this kamikaze manner for a short time only?

Some kind of cooling pit for a refinery process? And This is a frozen result? ( If you zoom out there are similar sized and shaped pits of what looks like possibly liquid filling with pipes running in a network just under the surface? )

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29°44'54.3"N+94°59'30.8"W/@29.7404177,-95.0090531,393a,20y,7.76h,48.88t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d29.748419!4d-94.991882

compared to that crystal pit

I understand what Google Earth does to complex shapes like trees and girder-ed towers to approximate a viable result. But the specular bumps seem to suggest highlighted facets and are sure selling the crystal effect to me?

Thanks fer any straight d0pe!

Replies

• claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    Back in mid 00 when I lived right outside these industrial jungles in the ChannelView/Freeport neighborhoods...
    I remember a massive fire that was a pretty big deal at the time. And before I came across that pit I did find one of the larger refinery spire of tubes that seemed to still have a burnt out center. Which sort of reinforces industrial accident ( perhaps skewing my perception ) to my mind's view?
    Either way I got plenty of inspiring seeds germinating for some gritty industrial landscapes.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's just a glitch with Google Earth, it does weird things all the time. You can look up the same location on Bing. 
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    It's just a glitch with Google Earth, it does weird things all the time. You can look up the same location on Bing. 

Thanks!
    But I was really hoping for the green lantern's fortress of solitude. :)