Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Captain Porkbelly

emerald-shine
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
emerald-shine polycounter lvl 4

So it took a bit longer than I wanted, but I was able to finalise my design for this guy. Big round upper boddy, silly stubby legs and covered in mud. Now with the design locked down I start modelling.

Started with a base mesh in maya made up of various shapes to get the form so I wouldnt have to mess around in Zbrush and could start scuplting right away. After importing I used dynamesh to merge everything to get rid of seams. Im happy with how its going but I have hit a snag.

Dynamesh webbed his hands together, is there a way i can fix this?

Replies

• emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Second lot of sculpting, Looking loads better. Trying to convey the sheer amount of weight this guy lumbers around while also striking a balence between fat and muscle. Hands are also looking better, big and meaty and ressemble Pig trotters more. I think the thumb is a little small though. Looks really puny compared to the fingers. Also added some detail to the legs to give them impression of muscle and the weight collapsing in on itself.

Crits are welcome.

• Apolloman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apolloman polycounter lvl 2
    Time I updated this.

Finished the high poly model, quite happy with the result.

Low poly model, around 21000 tris. First pass at texture. Not too crazy about the mud. I want it to look smeared on like warpaint, im trying to find a balance between detailed and stylised. Anything too realistic will detract from the big porker.

Test in UE4. Looks a bit wash out, need to mess around and get him nice and vibrant.

Hes come a long way. Theres still some silly issues I need to fix and I'll be doing that this week. If all goes well, he should be finished just in time for christmas!
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just realised I posted the update under my old account, I dont remember logging into that.
    Sorry for any confusion.
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    I love this guy! I think hard edges on the mud, like you have in the art, would work a lot better--right now it just looks like Photoshop soft brush.
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yeah, the mud is way too soft right now. Im going to completely redo the texture since I had to modify the topology around the face and have to have some new UVs to go with it.

why did I think this was okay?

Looks much better now.

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    LONG VERSION:
    Looks alright, only thing i wish i could have seen was more emphasis on the stylized bits.
    So knuckles having details edge details bones, wrinkles that look like a spiral think of a 6 i like to associate those with gummie bears for some reason (the show).

You got it in his belly which i have to say does look a bit odd cause nobodies belly button looks like that, well maybe an outtie i don't have an outtie i've seen outties but meh his belly doesn't appear to me anyways of being an outtie. ;)

Trim dynamic is what i am talking about then i talk about edges being pronounced, which is like outlining the silhouette of the character most of the time though you want to soften them and not have them look like hard edges.

I'd say you might be too far along to fix these unless you want to do all that extra work but good things to note for next time, perhaps a side kick chicken. ;)

TLDR,
    Basically saying you have potential you just need to find the stylizing sweet spot use better brushes in zbrush learn a few tricks study a few stylized imgs on artstation then you should be cranking out badass stylized works.
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    LONG VERSION:
    Looks alright, only thing i wish i could have seen was more emphasis on the stylized bits.
    So knuckles having details edge details bones, wrinkles that look like a spiral think of a 6 i like to associate those with gummie bears for some reason (the show).

You got it in his belly which i have to say does look a bit odd cause nobodies belly button looks like that, well maybe an outtie i don't have an outtie i've seen outties but meh his belly doesn't appear to me anyways of being an outtie. ;)

Trim dynamic is what i am talking about then i talk about edges being pronounced, which is like outlining the silhouette of the character most of the time though you want to soften them and not have them look like hard edges.

I'd say you might be too far along to fix these unless you want to do all that extra work but good things to note for next time, perhaps a side kick chicken. ;)

TLDR,
    Basically saying you have potential you just need to find the stylizing sweet spot use better brushes in zbrush learn a few tricks study a few stylized imgs on artstation then you should be cranking out badass stylized works.
    Wow, I hadn't even considered wether his belly button was an innie or an outtie, I just thought the swirl was more interesting. :D I'm not sure how wrinkles on the knuckles would look. Wouldnt that be covered by the mud? That said I like the idea. I dont think im too far to add these sort of details. I had to redo the topology anyway so i dont see why I couldnt add these. I'll have a play and see how these extra details turnout.

Thanks for the crit, I do appreciate it greatly.

Not going to be doing a chicken (not yet anyway :D) but I do have a couple of other characters in the works.

The crow is getting a major redesign, she looks too much like someone in a bird suit. I'll be sure to apply the feedback to these next 2.
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update on the texture. Think it looks a lot better with the hard edges on the mud. Decided to cover his hands completely, it didn't make sense to have his fingers, thumb and wrist covered in mud but not the rest of his hand.  Added som soft soot and dirt patches around his lower region. Having to constanly sit on the dirty ground is gonna show.

I tried with the swirly detail but I wasnt really a fan of how they came out. Im also fast approaching a deadline so I have to move on to the rigging, which is going to be a masive pain.
  • RKirtlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RKirtlink polycounter lvl 7
    The textures are starting to look a lot better, love the design of the character! For the mud I'd try to make it more splattered and add some darker and lighter shades to make it less uniform. From what I can see places like his wrists especially have a sharp line where the mud ends. Going a little crazier with the splatter would help that a lot. For the actual texture of the mud itself, different shades of brown and different parts that catch more or less light would help it read much more like mud. It also looks like his tail is clipping through the cape in the back, but that should be a pretty easy fix. Anyways nice job! It's coming along really well!
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was going so well :(

Ive been at this guy all week and Im getting really frustrated. Ive been having so many issues with rigging and my still sucks. I wanted to use what I have and take some shots of a few select poses but this happened. Why is there a face or tri missing in the knot? Its not that way in maya. In maya its deffinitely facing the right way. Im assuming its due to the way Ive modelled it. Is there a way I can fix it at this stage. I was hoping to put this guy on my portfolio but I dont feel right putting him up in this state.

Also, for some reason the textures are messed up. The cape is pink and his body is really washed out but only in Unreal. Anyone know why?

On the plus side, his blend shapes have turned out well :smiley:
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Fixed the washed out textures, UE4 doesnt like 16 bit PNG's. Im happy with how he turned out but still a little dissapointed. It was looking great untill I started rigging and it just fell apart. One issue after another, Im totally burnt out on skin weights and skeletons. Im finished with this guy for now, I need to step back and work on my next chracter.
    Ive allocated some time later on in the project to address and remedy anything that im not happy with and will use that time to go revist this guy.