Home Featured Artwork

New York State of Mind: Heist Concept + Process

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Retcon triangle
Hey guys, finished a new thing inspired by GTA and new york in general. I'm sharing my process here as well. If anyone has any critique or questions, let me know! I'd love to get some opinions.

Thanks for taking a look!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    I love it!

Especially nice having the breakdowns, great process. The lighting and composition and rendering are all fantastic.

My eye keeps being drawn to the trashbag at lower right. It creates an almost human silhouette. First impression is a homeless person watching the events, which would be neat, but second impression is a bit of a let down since it turns out to be an object that doesn't add as much to the story as a shocked viewer would. Maybe just lowering it and moving it closer would help?

The character in the truck is hard to make out. Is that a muzzle flash? A bullet hit? A reflection?

I wish the front tire was just slightly off the ground, just a sliver of sun under there. Would add to the excitement.

The bag of money spilling out looks kind of static. A couple gold coins tumbling in the air next to it might help sell the motion more.

Does BMW really put their logo on the corner like that? Such an obvious logo seems a bit out of place in this piece, calls attention to itself but doesn't really add to the story.

All minor crits though. Great piece. Nailed the afternoon lighting!
  • parag
    Offline / Send Message
    parag polycounter lvl 4
    Superb. .. 

Loved the breakdown. Nice process. Got to learn alot
  • Retcon
    Offline / Send Message
    Retcon triangle
    Hey, thanks for the crit man, all good points! Def thought about some of the stuff, like I originally had people in the bg running away but seemed to distracting. I feel like maybe skid marks and a subtle motion blur could also help push the motion. Supposed to be bullets bouncing off the metal part of the truck, really hard to show in a static image but could have made it more obvious I think. Cheers!