Home General Discussion

"Cintweak" and Reliable 84 Key, MiniKeyboard?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I've just run into a bad stream of luck, I've been using the Cintweak and a couple mini keyboards have just been malfunctioning and breaking down.

At first I had this keycool keyboard for a long time, it was always finicky for some reason, more so just the plug in usb into the keyboard was so poorly designed. Recently the usb inside broke, so I replaced it several weeks ago with the Noppoo.

https://www.amazon.com/Keycool-Mechanical-Backlight-Available-backlight/dp/B00CSIY5FS?tag=y1aboikpo-20

Noppoo choc 84, this one just had 2 sets of columns on the keyboard go out (7 U J M column and 8 I K ,) , which seems like a hard ware issue. It's been treated very well but for some reason still went bad.
https://www.amazon.com/Noppoo-REALKEY-Technology-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01M1ME9S9/ref=pd_sbs_147_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VM6N46F0B1XW08Z70NB2

I guess my couple questions are,
1. do any of you have a reliable 86 keyboard that doesn't break. I would prefer cheaper at this point, since these expensive ones have acted up

2. Are these potentially malfunctioning because of the nature of Cintweak? - The usb coming out of the keyboard is always under stress due to gravity (freaking gravity)

I feel, I might just have to spend another $50 for the bigger cintweak tray, just to get cheap default keyboards, that are potentially more reliable.

Replies

• Brian123
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian123 polycounter lvl 5
    I have two suggestions

1: Small Bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard. It's thin, small, and a review said it successfully paired with Windows 7. I would research further on Windows compatibility. If the build quality is anything like their classic wired aluminum keyboard, it should last. 

Only downside might be the arrangement of the Command Key (Windows Key), though, technically it puts Shift, Control and Alt close together. It's also Metal and has white key, does not blend in with Cintiq. You may not like flat keys?

2: MS Designer Keyboard, Slim Compact Fullsize Keyboard, Bluetooth.

While this is a full size keyboard, the layout has a unique compact design. Every key is evenly spaced, no gaps like usually found around the arrow keys, numer pad, it's all mashed together. The keyboard is 15.32" wide, narrow compared to most full size. You would have to decide if this could work with your 10" Cintweak, which is recommended for 13" and smaller. Also depends on where you want this lined up on the Cintiq and where you connect the Cintweak.

It's also relatively light weight and made of plastic, reducing risk of damaging your Cintiq, compared with maneuvering heavy/metal keyboards over it.

The keyboard is also very thin and dark, resulting in more polished and flush pairing with the Cintiq. The thicker part, battery compartment, would hang over the back of the Cintweak.

Notes: Keys are hard to see in low light. Control and Alt are spaced further apart due to the FN key, but the windows key is narrow. Uses two AAA batteries, package says 4 due to mouse. Battery compartment is held on magnetically, so no wear when changing batteries and should be accessible without pulling off from Cintweak's Velcro. Currently $55, normally $99, on US Amazon and includes a Bluetooth compact mouse. MS site says it has a 3 year warranty. I've never had any wake or sleep issues with it, it always responds instantly while working. 

• maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you, I actually really love the suggestion of the MS designer keyboard, I'm not sure why I never thought of bluetooth. And a mouse with it is actually appealing. Really glad I waited for a reply before replacing, this is a great idea :)
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Brian123 said:
    I have two suggestions

Only downside might be the arrangement of the Command Key (Windows Key), though, technically it puts Shift, Control and Alt close together.

Google for a program called "SharpKeys". You can use it to remap keys on those Apple keyboards to be more Windows-like.
    My bigger concern would be Bluetooth. I had one of those keyboards myself and it would regularly lose connection, requiring you to pair it again. Other people I know had similar problems. Do some research so you buy a bluetooth adapter that is known to work with Apple devices.