Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Developer Diary - Fantasy Side Project

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Gav quad damage
Hey all!

We (Gavin and Jamie) have started a small side project as a way to learn new skills, give purpose to our personal work, and generally explore ideas.  We have been actively posting on social media about our progress and/or experiments and figured a home for all of them may be a good idea so we can elaborate and have a better archive.

General Concept
A fantasy action adventure game that hooks into our basic influences as well as giving a change of pace and style from our daily work.   We've thrown around the term "Dungeons and Dragons by Disney" - to give a quick description - and are looking at our common inspirations and interests (Classic RPG, high fantasy, Zelda, Paul Bonner, etc.)

End Goal
For the most part, this is a "Lets see where this goes..." type project.  We have been friends for a decade now, worked on Bioshock Infinite together, and have always bounced ideas off of each other.  With the availability in tools (specifically Unreal) - it's a great time to make some of those ideas real.  The loose target, right now, is to have a single playable level showcasing combat and traversal, a missions worth of enemies, overall art direction, and functioning weapons/tools/skills...basically a vertical slice for what 2 guys can handle.

Mood:

Unlike most projects we take on, this will not just be art, and will largely be two artists using parts of their brain that usually just sleeps and eats cookies. Namely exploring Blueprints, some coding, overall game design, and generally finding the scrappiest way possible to make good looking stuff with a small team.

Moss Shader - to have overgrown environments that we can make in a more procedural way

Environment Blockout

Goblin Sketch 1 - Exploring different looks for a basic enemy

Goblin Sketch 2 - Exploring different looks for a basic enemy

Animation Tests Using Mixamo as a possible solution for prototyping -

Some Basic Traversal Tests

Starting to work on a HookShot

Rocky Cliff Pack

Replies

• floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Sounds intressting!
    I will keep an eye on this :)!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good dudes!
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone get's to learn stuff. Yay!
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Aw yeah. This is gonna be a fun adventure.
  • Machintrucs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Machintrucs polycounter lvl 8
    Ooooooh the mouse is terrible, how you managed to get that ?
    Little breakdown ? plz :blush:

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    @Machintrucs - The mouse? Not sure I follow...if it's moss, I'll let Jamie speak for that

Playing with some Wall Jump functionality, we have a wall run made but I feel like this approach could be better for opening up gameplay spaces / constructing puzzles:

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good. Great progress gents.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Some folks say "don't quit your day job", I hugely encourage you both to do just that. Looks fun, this is how great things begin. Good luck. 
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks guys.

Spent most of last night retargetting a bunch of animations to use for combat and traversal - nothing super interesting to look at yet, but should enable us to have a better looking set rather than just my shitty attempts at animating :P

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Finally got it working in game using the d-pad.

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Getting set up to start playing with some combat in the game.  Really rough right now, just firing animations in a cycle, but will most likely set up some sort of delay and/or switch to make it not as stiff.

• Nars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nars polycounter lvl 6
    looking forward to see more from you.
  • KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    It looks like you're off to a fantastic start! I really love seeing the animation gifs - you're making a lot of progress with groundwork it seems! I can't wait to see how it really starts to come together as you get further on!  :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    We've spent a bunch of time setting up a P4 server and dealing with integrations / merging.  But out of that, have fixed up a few things and I got a chance to look at some wall climbing.  Imagine more limited speed and specific animations for traversing rough vertical terrain - like a terrace, decayed castle wall, or cliff side.  This is just the bare bones of sticking to a wall and moving - over the next week or so, I'd like to refine this but will most likely get back to some combat / AI bits.   I also need to be awake in 4 hours.

The rubber dong flopping around is just a Polycount easter egg.

• Corley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corley polycounter lvl 3
    This looks amazing, I wish there were more people doing this. 
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks!

Working out the basics of a health and damage system.  I'm currently looking at converting this to a component system versus just a shit ton of variables floating in BP.  While it works, its really heavy to copy it from one character to another and is really error prone.

Player Damage and Death

Enemy Damage and Death

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Health and damage converted over to components , health pick ups created.  Player can now regain life, though theres a few things I need to figure out:

Enemies live or die, but seemingly don't take damage.

Hero can die but does nothing at death.  Less of a problem right now...

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Integrated a rope climb bp that I think could be used for climbing poles, pillars, vines, etc.  Obviously, needs an anim state for climbing to look less awakward, but the basic idea is there...you can latch on, climb up or down, spin, launch off, connect to another one or just sail off into space.

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Made  a quick mini map tonight while cooking some stuff for Thanksgiving:

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Added the basics of a targeting system to the character, able to lock on enemies, disengage, switch enemies and have available targets fade off at a distance.  I'll need to add different movement in this mode so you don't just run circles around the guy.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is super awesome, love this type of threads.
    subbed.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks @lotet !

A running idea we have is that the player character has a gauntlet which grants them magical abilities...similar to Gully from Battle Chasers, Darksiders, Infinity Gauntlets, etc.  The first go at implementing something that gauntlet would do is a magic shield.  So - I've set this up to block incoming damage.  Obviously, I need to work on rotations and such, need to get  a better way to  have you just not constantly blocking, etc. At the moment, the shield drains a set number of energy/magic points, then is unusable when you're at zero...will most liekly make it so that, as long as the shield is up, it drains magic then dies if you hit zero points.

• EternalEcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EternalEcho polycounter lvl 3
    how on EARTH did you get that moss?  I've been trying for months to get good fuzzy moss.  Is it just a vertex-paint parallax mat with an awesome height map?
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieMc polycounter lvl 18
    how on EARTH did you get that moss?  I've been trying for months to get good fuzzy moss.  Is it just a vertex-paint parallax mat with an awesome height map?
    @EternalEcho Hey dude.   Welp..  The moss is using dynamic tesselation and deformation.    Using a fine pixely heightmap to get the "fuzz"   The only problem with ti is the fuzz sort of dances at the moment as it dynamically tesselates.  I need to work on getting that to stop.  But to be honest you don't notice is much in 3rd person so it might go to just being more flat.   For the basic color itself I am just using an up vector with controllable coverage and spread as well as vertex color if I want to paint some of it out.

@Generalvivi Nice to see ya around these parts dude :)

And.. Here are some other things i've slowly been working on .

Push Block.

Pickup object in  C++

Ai sight detection -  Green line means he can't see us.  Red Line means he can see us and comes after us.

Ai Patrolling - This will be the default "I don't see no stinking adventurer" idle state.   But will be slowed to a light walk and constrained to a smaller area.

Thanks to everyone who commented so far.

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    And I've been plugging away at another "spell", the idea being that you would destroy weakened surfaces to unlock different paths, secret areas, bypass obstacles, etc.  Really common in a lot of games (Batman, Witcher, Zelda, etc.) - our take could be a touch spell that destroys objects in the general vicinity.  This came from trying to make a grenade, which still may be an option - though is a bit more goofy to work with ( dealing with bounce, trajectory, damage from explosion versus projectile...)

• JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goblins are now patrolling for random distance to random location and pausing for a random amount of time.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Would be nice if Polycount supports gfy(cat) file format. That shit loads way faster and use less bandwidth than .gif would.

Keep going Gav. These stuffs look great.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks @PyrZern - the gifs may become too much, though I like showing them since it looks cooler than still images to show off motion and such. Maybe we should just do stills with offsite gifs?

Started working on another gauntlet spell, just a ranged attack summoning a magic bow and arrow.  I imagine this would be the equivalent of just  a regular ranged weapon but rolled into the magic / tools of the gauntlet, could also use it to hit high up switches or trigger puzzles.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    You are going in the speed of light here! how much of this is blueprints and how much is C?
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome work guys! It's been fun following your progress. Looking forward to see more!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    These kinds of threads need to happen more on Polycount IMO! 
    It looks like you guys are learning new stuff and having a ton of fun, there's a very pure and childish vibe I'm getting out of this! Which is what games are all about!!
  • Snakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snakes polycounter lvl 5
    This is crazy! A lot of this went over my head but I can seriously appreciate the amount of work and dedication you guys have put into this baby. Super cool spell too! Can't wait to see more. ^^
  • Nomad - Nicolas Pirot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad - Nicolas Pirot polycounter lvl 4
    Cool project guys, I'm interested in seeing how continues to grow!
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet said:
    You are going in the speed of light here! how much of this is blueprints and how much is C?
     So almost everything is blueprint.  There is only 1 or 2 times I decided to try code. I know only a little so that makes it super difficult.  Blueprints are much easier on the artist brain ;)

@everyone
    Thanks for the encouragement to all the rest of you.   

• JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here is a sketch for our hero on the side project.  The only armor is the gauntlet and pauldron and a bit on the boots.  The rest is leather/cloth

more modest

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Blueprints are awesome! I dont think there is a shame in using that over code :) I have a friend who's the kind of guy that starts coding neural networks in his free time "because its fun" and he uses blueprints almost exclusively in UE4. so if its good enough for him I think its good enough for rest of us haha :)

as for the character I like the modest version, would be nice to see some leather on the legs as well, something like this maybe?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage

Small addition, but added the ability to cycle through spells by pressing dpad.  It'll make it easier to just test stuff, but also blocks out the functionality of the gauntlet changing "slots"
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Adding a freeze spell to paralyze enemies during combat:
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the ai to aggro on a hearing radius. Once out of the range they wait a second then stop chase.  
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This thread is staring to get reaally heavy. I would recommend either link to gifs, or even youtube videos instead. 
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Following this has been a joy! :D Keep at it boys, looking great.
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out some substance painter on a simple object to figure out stylization.  I think we will need to really push the proportions and tone down the realism. 

p.s. Pumpkins are easier than making a big creature or whatnot for first tests :)   
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty..  Starting a statue for the first dungeon we will build.    Here is a concept and the first blockout of it.   Hopefully more interesting than pumpkins :smile:

• AaronHuggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a really cool project. I'm glad you guys are sharing your journey. I look forward to seeing how this is going to progress and how you tackle it :)

I've lost track of the amount of games projects I've undertaken. I feel like each time I take a lot from it. But I've never finished one.
    I've also got plans to undertake another one in january for the purpose of learning.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Need to figure out an alternative to showing game dev stuff that has motion and isn't a gif, like @lotet said, but need to find something good - will try just hosting them somewhere else and linking, or doing Youtube (maybe saving them for larger updates?)

Regardless, been plugging away at an inventory, crafting, and loot system...which has proven to be way more involved that I expected.  Interestingly, my very first art job was creating UI - but that was years ago, and things have gotten way more complicated.  Especially when you're scripting the stuff you make.  Even though we've tackled basic traversal, combat, spell effects, etc.  I feel like this is the first time I need to step back and actually consider what's being done - because of the questions it makes you ask.  For combat - you hit stuff, they hit you, and there are variables in between (do you dodge? get stunned? do combo attacks? etc.)  With UI, I'm finding that I need to even ask "Will we have money?", "Would you buy things or just pick it up?", "How do we want it laid out, multiple pages? All in one?" - and with that, it's really cool to have a basic ui, but I can see it quickly becoming a "cart before the horse" type scenario where I wouldn't want to invest too much in one direction if it isn't what we want. SO. Getting the basic UI down and will be refocusing on more art and gameplay type things - this is essentially more to unlock:

Looting Objects

Storing in Inventory

Crafting Items From Inventory Items

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Welcome to the dark side Gav ;)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good!
    yeah, the biggest issue with design is not what you can do, but rather should  do it. and usually less is more, keeping the design philosophy focused.

I think youtube is fine even for shorter clips, look at this for example.  hes doing pretty much the same thing only in videos, they are usually around 1-3 minutes at most. you guys could probably squeeze  2-3 gifs together to match that.
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the statue.  Total time on this is 5-ish hours. Will need to go in and do cleanup on hands to make them more chiseled etc. Probably still need some edge cleanup.   This will be a macro normal with a tiling rock detail normal to do the fine grain on the statue...most likely....

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Starting to block in a quest system - really fun to do this sort of thing, and something I have virtually no knowledge on.

Doing this sort of work raises a lot more questions - like I mentioned earlier - and really is a big part of why I/We wanted to start something like this.  Setting up little quests, figuring out "how" the character will do something is connecting me to the side of game development that originally drew me in - "making games." While I love making art, and am confident in my abilities there, this is a whole new ballgame and starts to give purpose to the art work.  Setting up the quest starts revealing other things - Do we have talking NPCs? Do we have non-linear quests? What sort of characters inhabit the world that aren't just future pincushions? 

The possibilities are endless (given enough time), and while they're just baby steps into other disciplines, it's a super humbling learning experience.

• JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Statue is updated.  Working on materials etc.