Home Adobe Substance

Strange artifacts on bake

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
If I bake from Max, I don't have any issues but when I bake within substance I have these weird artifacts. I've tried breaking up that face so it's on it's own separate island and messing with the smooth groups but this keeps showing up. My high poly has a bunch of ngons but doesn't show this stretching that is being produced. I've even tried making most of the topology quads just for giggles but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Replies

• oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    If you have not done so yet, you probably should triangulate your mesh (even the quads, not just the ngons) before texturing. Otherwise it is difficult/impossible to ensure that different software will split the ngons and quads the same way, which can cause differences in the way tangent frames and textures are interpolated.

• donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    I came here hunting for answers to this very problem. Fixed it with the Hipoly being an obj set to triangles. Low poly is no triangulated fbx
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon said:
    I came here hunting for answers to this very problem. Fixed it with the Hipoly being an obj set to triangles. Low poly is no triangulated fbx
    I actually did fix this by modifying the Highpoly. I was exporting these out with default .obj settings from Max. Even though the highpoly does not show these strange artifacts I added more supporting geo (just a quick turbosmooth by smoothing group) and exported it out - BAM. back in business.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I bet you had Turbosmooth on with Isoline display turned ON. What this does - hides edges in viewport but keeps the vertices from the turbosmooth...so when you export your high they're still there and mess up the shading. Try to convert to editable poly the high poly with Turbosmooth set to Isoline ON and see how the shading is messed up.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    I bet you had Turbosmooth on with Isoline display turned ON. What this does - hides edges in viewport but keeps the vertices from the turbosmooth...so when you export your high they're still there and mess up the shading. Try to convert to editable poly the high poly with Turbosmooth set to Isoline ON and see how the shading is messed up.
    I did indeed, I just tested it though and there was no difference between the exported files (one with isoline off and one on). It's strange but I'll just keep that in mind for future bakes.