Answered: Quixel workstation performance comparison

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jimonions polycounter lvl 10
So at work I am using this setup:

Win7 Prof
Intel Xeon e3-1231 v3 3.4GHz
16gb Ram
250gb SSD (all programs installed here and set photoshop scratch disk)
GTX 750TI
Photoshop 13.1

At home:

Win10 Home
AMD FX 8320 3.5GHz
32gb Ram
1TB SSD + 250gb SSD + 5TB storage
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Photoshop CC

The one at work constantly hangs up and takes about 10 seconds whenever mousing over Quixel suite windows (ndo, ddo) or performing any actions. Ive checked ram usage and its hovering around 12gb. CPU at 15-30% usage.

In comparison my home setup performs the same actions at a fraction of a second and never hangs up randomly.

Is there any way I can identify the problem? It currently takes me nearly a week to do something that usually takes me a day and thats just no way to get work done.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There's additional variables to take into account. What resolution in your project are you using at home and at work?
  • Jimonions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh right. For both I used the same 4k normal map in NDO. Just a single map. I got some more ram installed on my work station up to 32gb now but that hasn't solved anything.

Specifically when I'm changing the values in a layer via the ndo interface will it take drastically longer. For example changing the curve to a different one or moving a slider.
    Also using the pen tool seems to take substantially longer than any other way such as basic marque tools or sculpt layers.
    And lastly mousing over the quixel window as I mentioned previously just to reiterate, lags for about 10 seconds.

Both at home and at work I've tried with 3do open. At home it updates near instantaneously while the one at work suffers the same problem as mousing over any quixel toolbar and loading for about 10 seconds.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Try deleting your Photoshop preferences folder, located in the /AppData/ directory. Restart Photoshop afterward and run NDO again. That will clear up the vector drawing problems.

Issues related to slow saving (e.g. adjusting anything in NDO with 3DO open) are almost always related to working from a networked hard drive or a slow drive of some sort. Be sure to save projects locally if possible.
  • Jimonions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm doesnt seem to change anything. Everything is being saved locally as far as Im aware. Straight to the desktop. I might just chalk this up to something I dont have control over. My coworkers seem to suffer from the same problems.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Did you delete your Photoshop preferences folder? This is a significantly different action than simply holding ALT+CONTROL+SHIFT while loading the program.

If this isn't the issue, and your co-workers are experiencing issues, it may be related to a system configuration by your IT department. Perhaps checking with them will help - you'll want to see if there's any AV software running (Trend Micro is a really bad offender) while you're trying to work. If they can let SUITE and Photoshop through the AV, that might help as well.
  • Jimonions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup the folder itself. Cant seem to figure it out myself so looks like ill just have to manage it. Encountered a different issue with ddo. Ill make a new thread for that one, this one can just be left unnanswered