Home Career & Education

Is artstation professional when applying to game companies?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys,

I'm just wondering if Artstation is professional to create a portfolio on it and apply for jobs? I have checked wix, squarespace and other websites, they all asked for money appr 100$ annually.

Thank you,

Replies

• battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, it's perfect.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yup, it's perfectly fine. I spend about $30 a year on hosting ($10 domain + $20 hosting). I made a list a while back of a few of the sites Polycounters suggested for hosting http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/1919745/#Comment_1919745
    There's also a referral code for $10 annual hosting on the site I use. 
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I'd add carbonmade to the options. But Artstation would be my first choice.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Many of the big studios scout for artists on it so I'm sure they are ok with you applying with it, I haven't updated my portfolio for some time now so if I were to look for work I would use Artstation.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I get way more views on my art station than my website.

:/ AINEC
  • slipsius
    Yes. 

Hell, I have a website, but when I apply for jobs, I just send my vimeo link. 
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    I just got 25 applications on my desk right now and ...

... 9 used ArtStation
    ... 7 used their own domain and hosting
    ... 6 attached files directly to the mail which is Mehh...! Dont do this!
    ... 2 had no portfolio at all
    ... 1 used carbonmade
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    defragger said:
    I just got 25 applications on my desk right now and ...
    ... 2 had no portfolio at all

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think artstaton will be fine.

for applications i prefer referring to my own corner though. no ads, no comments and no opportunity to just click on something else that looks more interesting... ;) i know i always tend to stray when given a link on there.

• Amaury
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    What if they can't download your CV ?

Also, do the usual rules for portfolios apply for artstation as well ? For example, posting only a few good projects rather than a bunch of unconsistent stuff. I have some shit and WIPs on mine.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Artstation is fine.

However, I see Artstation's "My profile" section, which is the one I see most when looking at other artists more as an art blog. This can get very full of art that isn't relevant for a portfolio. When I did create an artstation portfolio (some time ago) I found it a bit clunky and I had to sort the art in my profile into a different order. Not most recent at top, etc. Also, any new art you upload is also added to your portfolio automatically which I just discovered. Shows how often I visit my own portfolio section...

If you only upload art that you consider portfolio pieces then its fine. you can also create a portfolio subfolder which could be shared when applying for jobs.

Pretty sure my Boss gets like 90% artstation links with CV's and he's never complained. The art speaks for itself whatever the format. Just don't send shit tons of art. That's annoying...
  • adrxzero
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    Artstation is absolutely Recruiter Approved(tm) 
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    For folks who are not so tech savvy...

Artstation has two main pages... Your Profile, and your Portfolio.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/NAME -> Profile
    https://NAME.artstation.com/ -> Portfolio

Your Profile is where all your art works are posted on, usually sorted by Date. Unless you specify it to sort by Album (via display option).  This is not very professional, because many people post a lot of WIPs here.

Your Portfolio is where you can choose to show only your very best. An easy way to accomplish that; is that create an Album, (maybe call it Featured, or Portfolio-Material, or whatever.) 

Then go to 
    WEBSITE BUILDER -> Pages -> EDIT -> ADD GALLERY [https://www.artstation.com/myartstation/pages]
    You can decide what to show in that gallery via MANAGE PORTFOLIO [https://www.artstation.com/myartstation/projects]

Using this same method, you can have a few Albums specifically for Portfolio; ENVO, Characters, Props, Sculpts, etc etc.

Feel free to ask questions if I'm not so clear.

• xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    in my opinion 
    personal aesthetic above  everything

artstation/ your name  , web feature  , still look 99 times better
     than name/artstation ( hope artstation admin listen to this ) 

so I link my artstation page instead of artstation portfolio site. 
    portfolio page is rather inferior  at the moment :(

probably some artist don't want to have  Likes and Following tab
    because that redirect to their favorite art and artist,
    however,   things has been like that since Deviantart era,  
    popular artist can still be popular  no matter how  they share domain with other artist. 
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I agree. Profile page looks better...  And it has nice big banner as background.
    And it allows for following other artists directly. 

I think they want Portfolio cooler themes to be membership fee thingy...

I organize my Profile page to feature only about the same content as my Portfolio. (all WIPs get hidden away. No clusterfuck)

I probably care a bit less about layout if my art pieces are so awesome that they look good even on toilet papers...

xvampire You made the arts on Siegefall !? I played the crap out of that game. Graphic was gorgeous!
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Artstation is leagues better then a poorly made personal website and we prefer them to HTML sites.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yes. Artstation is great.