Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student showreel

Dolgaror
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dolgaror polycounter lvl 8
Hi !

I'm a French 3d student looking for criticisms and advices on my showreel.
In fact this is my first showreel and I have spend many hours to do this.

Because i'm going to apply very soon for a 6 months internship, i would not have time to change many things on my showreel, but i will keep  your advices and criticisms in my mind for my next showreel.

Here is the link :

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You should texture the stylised house that you show at the beginning of your showreel.
    You have characters, weapons and environments on your showreel, you should pick a specialization and master it, right now all the models are not of a high quality, the light sabre is super high poly and has a normal map and the other materials are not that pretty. The tunnel scene has potential but the materials are a bit boring at the moment, it could use some more fancy set dressing, look at post apocalyptic scenes and games for inspiration.

Good luck!
    EDIT: And don't lose motivation after some harsh feedback! Do some tutorials and you will improve :)
  • Sabot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabot polycounter lvl 5
    Some thoughts in no particular order:
    • Put your contact details at the very first page somewhere unobtrusive, minor gripe, 
    • ("The Survivor" and "Cartoon Warrior") Skip the characters. They  feel unfinished and a bit flat, lacking anatomy and structure. Unless your goal right this minute is to become a character artist, dump them. They are lowering the overall quality of your reel.
    • ("The Blacksmith") Your very 1st piece (and thus, first impression) is an untextured stylized house. I'd highly recommend you either finish it or don't put it in your reel right now, it gives off a bad impression. My suggestion would be to finish it, the modeling looks strong and if you could get the materials and style in a high quality, it would be a big +
    • ("Cave") Confusing presentation w/ the still images. Especially since the entire scene is basically a very narrow corridor and a brick wall. You could either re-do the scene to be a bit less clautstrophobic and add something extra to bump the quality, or drop it.
    • ("The Abandoned Tunnel") Cool concept. If you push the materials and texturing on this it and redo the  lackluster lighting it could turn into something really nice!
    • ("The Old Lightsaber") As mentioned above this is super high poly for a realtime videogame asset. Reduce the polycount and tweak the materials a bit, right now the material definition does not really read "old lightsaber" to me imo
    • ("HK G36" and "Jeep Willys") Both decent modeling and texture wise but neither feels standout.
    Overall: good presentation on things, just that some of the things themselves feel lackluster or unfinished (or, to be more precise, everything feels a bit "first texture pass-y").

My feedback would be that you seem to lack focus right now, and that you might need to have a think about what you want to actually try to apply your time for improving instead of trying to be a bit of everything (and ending up doing OK all over the place).

If you want to be an environment artist, then double down on that and start eliminating every piece that does not fit that vision. If you want to be a weapon or vehicle artist, then focus on that. Your reel right now comes of as a mish-mash of homework and assignments, ending up feeling like you don't quite know what you want to be great at yet.

Don't give up! You've shown some solid modeling skills and tried a bit of everything, now it's time to sit down and focus on that one thing you really want to do!
  • Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your responses.

I completely understand what you are saying to me, and this is what I think too. 
    I will remove "cave" scene. I will also try to texture the blacksmith and reduce the number of polygons of the light saber.

And you are completely right, I've tried to do many different thing but now I really need to specialize myself in environments.

I have one more question. In fact, my school is not a technical or artistic school. It's more a school for people who want to be project manager. So can you tell me how much I am less competent than other video game student ? I am having trouble to visualize this... 

Thanks again !
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I would say at the moment you are a bit in a disadvantage compared to students from art/game schools. As a student myself in my school we are being learned to specialize in things like character art/environment art etc. Right now you have a bit of everything in your showreel, like mentioned above you need to focus. Pick a specialization and remove work from your portfolio that's not relevant to it and then practice and work on your specialization!
  • Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i will do that ! Tanks for your advices and criticisms ! :smile: