Home Technical Talk

Blender- Baked Displacement map completely flat gray??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Tried baking displacement map from high to lower poly mesh in Blender. Baked map output is completely flat grey in color. Isn't it supposed to be black and white or show a variety of greys? I have been tweaking the parameters without any results. Using Blender internal for the baking.

Thanks

EDIT: Seems the solution is to increase the size of both meshes and the baked displacement map is more accurate.

I am not sure Blender is good for baking these maps. Seem to be getting lots of errors. Apart from xnormal, is there any other app that does this effectively and better?

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    If you don't adjust the Bias and Distance setting Blender takes the lowpoly as the center of your displacement map. If your highpoly is only outside (above) your lowpoly, you need to set the bias to half of the maximum distance, can be a bit troublesome to figure out, but the result will be a map from 0.0 to 1.0 not just 0.5 to 1.0. Make sure to check Normalize as well.
    Other than that you can save the bake to a 32bit image, adjust the range later and convert to 16bit, if that is enough.
    Changing the size of the object doesn't sound like a good workaround tbh. not sure how it makes a difference in any case.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the pointers, mate :)
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    melviso said:
    Tried baking displacement map from high to lower poly mesh in Blender. Baked map output is completely flat grey in color. Isn't it supposed to be black and white or show a variety of greys? I have been tweaking the parameters without any results. Using Blender internal for the baking.

Thanks

EDIT: Seems the solution is to increase the size of both meshes and the baked displacement map is more accurate.

I am not sure Blender is good for baking these maps. Seem to be getting lots of errors. Apart from xnormal, is there any other app that does this effectively and better?
    I love knald been using it for a while now it's awesome.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray said:
    I love knald been using it for a while now it's awesome.
    Thanks for the suggestion, sunray