rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
Dell takes on Surface Studio with its dual-screen Smart Desk concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKzXRMn9Vfs

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Somebody overtly stole someone's tech with that puck. No way they both had the same idea at the same time.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One one hand I dig the fact that their footage shows a clearly working prototype/device. But on the other hand ... the palm detection (or lack thereof ?) seems to make for some awkward hand hovering. Curious to see how this will turn out !
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder if it's just the video, but the displays don't look the greatest (mediocre viewing angles and not very deep blacks). But that's something that has to be reviewed in person. The knob looks really cheapo compared to the Surface, but it will be awesome for adoption if everyone has one (Wacom, Dell, Microsoft, etc). 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    interesting. the more the merrier. now we just need an exploding one from samsung. :)

just like with the microsoft one i do not see the puck hardware being all that useful. a right click dial menu under the cursor would make more sense to me right now and not obstruct a part of the screen. i'd rather have a little platform with programmable keys that can be snapped to the device's frame where i want it so there's no need for a full keyboard most of the time. but perhaps you could repurpose one of these 3dconnexion devices to take over that part - or use pedals.

judging by the name it'll be another computer/display unit though. so very likely made to look slim over being performant (and upgradeable).

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I think the dial might be pretty useful. If the future goal for user interaction is to be more tactile, on screen, this tool makes a lot of sense. You can move it on screen to call the menus, twist it, press it, etc. I would imagine it definitely feels natural for drawing. But just imagine controlling a 3d program with it - extrudes or bevels could be done in a snap just by rotating it and clicking through options. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it looks new-age i give it that. however you'll have to move it around to reach bits of the interface - e.g. where would you place that in a zbrush sculpting session when you work all over the screen and need to reach menus and tool-trays? depending on where it's placed in relation to you you might not even be able to properly see all the options displayed around it and it's all icons, icons, icons anyway. as if we didn't have enough cryptic ones to deal with already.

i'd also think gestures would work faster for calling up menus - and keep the screen free. and i do wonder if these dials are secured to the screen in any way? else you might just swipe one off the tablet by mistake with a pen stroke.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thomasp In Microsofts video, they move the puck around on the screen and show it bringing up menus at its location. This seems like a logical step for something like 3dconnexion's SpaceMouse, I like the idea, though I'm not doing as much painting these days. For traditional 3d, I'm not so sure that it's up to the task, though I could see workflows popping up based around it since there's a lack of hotkeys.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    my bad. i meant to say: you might have to work around this thing to reach parts of the interface. as in: you place it somewhere, then you need to do a stroke or access something within the application and find that the puck is in the way. i imagine that would happen pretty frequently.
    so it's to me something that looks like it might make sense in some slow drawing session where you don't flick across the canvas much - but in reality it'll share the fate of the wacom puck (the carpet-powered mouse) and just sit in the box, unopened. ;)
    i have a collection of these things... mint condition!