Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | November - January

Replies

• ICESPADE
    Offline / Send Message
    ICESPADE polycounter lvl 15
    @Sunray: Great refs
    @Aonar: Also very nice refs
     @apollo580: Coming along nicely. I think you still have room to defend more of the forms before you get too far along with the secondary details.
    @Isunoi: Looking clean 
    Guess I will be attempting the big guy. Santa Claus. First the blocking.
  • ShortCake
    Offline / Send Message
    ShortCake polycounter lvl 10
    @ICESPADE   Thanks dude, appreciate the feedback! I'd love to hear if you have any tips or if you could elaborate a bit?  Did you mean I should push the forms as a whole or did you have specific areas of the sculpt in mind?
  • ICESPADE
    Offline / Send Message
    My mistake! @ShortCake. I thought I edited it correctly the other day. Apparently not, that critique was meant for  @apollo580.

• Sense42
    Offline / Send Message
    Sense42 polycounter lvl 6
    First time entering a polycoint competittion. I'll go with Santa. Here's a few critiques:

@Markovnikov I like the topology of you have got, but the breast area look a bit improveable, maybe try to inflate in the inside.

@lkameen3 Your head looks very good to me, but is masculine. Try to smoot planes trasition of the face.

@ShortCake I really like you anatomy, the folds you come up with and the hair so far. One thing I have to say is the head is too forward imho.

@Sunray I like the point where you are now. However I think the torso is a bit too squared and the face looks younger than what it's in the reference. Also I would try to shorten a bit the neck. It's a bit long imho and with shorter neck the whole figure should looks more bulky.

Here is my block out of muscle masses. Fat will be added later in a second sculpt pass. Very rough 'till now. Also I'll not sculpt the legs since will be fully covered.
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    Sense42 Looking good for a first pass, my comment would be to make the legs bulkier
    @ICESPADE   Thanks for the critique, sadly I didn't see it until today and finished the high model already (trying to fully complete one of these challenges). Any specific things I should look to refine next time?

Here is my final high poly model! Any critique is welcome, and I have a question. I'm going to retopolgize this guy for a game ready type model, and I've numbered how many parts the model will come in. Can anyone comment if this is a good division of the model for simplifying the retoplogizing process. I intend to bake in substance painter so the parts can be separate and it wont bleed into the other parts.

• aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys. I'm in again, hope to finish this time :). Anyway here are my first wip screenshot. I'm almost done sculpting in the large forms and getting all shapes right.

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @apollo580 looking good man but the biceps look a bit to inflated to me and I feel like he has not enough fat. The serratus are really defined while you see some more fat on the concept.

@Sense42 yeah I changed the body made everything told me he was to tall haha. yeah face looks way too young haven't add any rimples yet i'll make sure to give it some more time thanks.

• Sense42
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a litte update.

@apollo580 I like your sculpt, I have only a few critique: biceps are too big in my opinion, also I think the bracelets silouette noeed a little more work i't really a lot inflated in the central part imho. Aside that I really like your face sculpt, but it remainds me of an old Chinese martial art master. I think that tweaking the eyes shape can change this feel (maybe I'm the oly one to think this, I don't know).
    For your retopology I think the subdivision can work. I would suggest to split all fur and hairs  and make them with alpha planes.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Sense42 pectoralis major is supposed to go underneath the anterior deltoid I believe.

• Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    @GravityBwlast Nice job man. Like your brief.
    @ICESPADE Nice shape. Maybe bigger muscles on top?

Mines is that... I'm not sure if I'll finish him this time.

Keep the good work guys ;)

• Sense42
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sunray You're right. I didn't noticed it, I just given too much space to pectoralis insertion. Thanks to spot it out!
  • Ad1
    Offline / Send Message
    Ad1 null
    Pshyco I think you should make the leather straps on pants larger, they seem tiny compared to the belt. Also his back is lacking muscle definition.

Here is update on my work, i am thinking what to add to make things more interesting without breaking away from the concept.

• Colton
    Offline / Send Message
    Colton polycounter lvl 2
    @Ad1
    How did you do the bells and the bows? They look very clean.
  • Sense42
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly getting better (I think  :# ). Here's another little update.

Close up to the face:

And top part of the body:

@Ad1 Your doing very good! I would take another look at your trousers folds: the external ones that goes zig-zag seems a bit unnatural imo.
  • Ad1
    Offline / Send Message
    Ad1 null
    Colton For bells i just used a sphere and masked the holes, then deleted the masked parts and used zremesher several times to get clean topology (you might need to tweak the adaptive settings), then i just used panel loops. You can also try zmodeler. As for bow ribbon its just few simple meshes, it still needs some sculpting.

• ShortCake
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the comments! Haven't posted anything in a while. Had neither the time or energy to do anything but i managed to put in a couple of hours today and will hopefully work some more tomorrow. I re-sculpted her legwarmers and gave her lovely hair! I know it looks huge right now but most of the planes that make up the volume are going to be wispy/fine hairs, will do a test render of it tomorrow.

@ICESPADE Aw.. No worries! Love the base you have btw, can't wait to see more!

@GravityBwlast I made them in marvelous and inflated them a bit in zbrush to make them fluffier. It's not the prettiest in MD (had to use a ton of pins to keep it from sliding off her leg xD )but here's what it looks like in MD

• aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @ShortCake : That is looking really awesome. :)

Had some time to do more sculpting. I aim to finish the high res sculpt by end of next week. All the other details will be modeled later on. Right now I'm tweaking at her head and hair style. Her hair turned out a little stiff for now. I'm still not sure about how I'll go about making the fur so I placed some placeholders.

• apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping to get some help with baking!

I've been playing around with substance painter and trying to get the match by name baking feature to work. Basically I cant get it to work and I can see that its being influenced by the other objects. 

So I use Maya LT and UV unwrapped my model which is made up for 12 parts. Each has been put into 1 main group and has the _low suffix as seen below in my pictures. I then export the low poly as an fbx title Santa_low. I do the same sort of steps in Zbrush, naming all of my subtools the same as in Maya but with _high. I then also export as an FBX. When I get into Substance Painter and try and bake, I can see that its just taking the overall model and baking it and not each individual part. I was really hoping someone can help me with this problem. I've attached screen captures below.

A side problem, Im getting these weird lines on my bakes as seen in my picture. I have no idea whats causing it but it looks like the polygons of my model.

Thank you.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @apollo580 Did you export your low poly model with all smooth normals? If not, that might be causing it
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja said:
    @apollo580 Did you export your low poly model with all smooth normals? If not, that might be causing it

In my second image I have my export settings. Should I check off the Smooth Mesh options? Is that what you're talking about?

Also I figured out the baking issue! In case anyone uses the same method, just make sure to turn on "By Mesh Name" for both Normals and Ambient Occlusion or it wont bake the AO properly!
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Somehow the file I was using got corrupted and I can't get back to the model. Guess this is me offically dropping out.

@aquila The face seems a little ill-proportioned. It's way too long.
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @Markovnikov: Agreed. There was something bothering me about her face. Looks like I got to tweak on it some more. By the way, I think the deadline is sometime in January? Isn't there enough time to just start from scratch?
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Markovnikov @aquila The deadline is the end of December with possibility of extension to the end of January if enough people request it. There should be more than enough time to start again
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finished the model for this challenge, my first complete challenge :) My process was as follows: High Poly in Zbrush, Re-topo in Topogun, UV in Maya LT, and baking and texturing in Substance Painter. Texturing was my first real time giving it a go and I think I made the skin a bit too shiny and should lower the roughness. Thank you for everyone's help, and as usual I appreciate any critiques.

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @apollo580 A common mistake I see with skin is that it is too uniform in color. Skin has a lot of little subtle layers working on top of each other that helps give it life. Check out Vertex Mag 1 that has an article by Jacque Choi that goes into great depth on this https://gumroad.com/ryanhawkins#

I personally find that you have to hand paint skin, substance might be able to give you a good base but there are so many areas that require manual love in order to get it to look right.

• apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja said:
    @apollo580 A common mistake I see with skin is that it is too uniform in color. Skin has a lot of little subtle layers working on top of each other that helps give it life. Check out Vertex Mag 1 that has an article by Jacque Choi that goes into great depth on this https://gumroad.com/ryanhawkins#

I personally find that you have to hand paint skin, substance might be able to give you a good base but there are so many areas that require manual love in order to get it to look right.

Thank you very much, I'll check it out and try and work it into my next piece! 
  • VeryCrunchyTaco
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    Hello all!  I can't wait to hop in this thread and make a big mess : ^)

@aquila Looks like a good start!  I think we could change her proportions up a little bit; I did a crappy liquify to help show what I think could help.  Mostly just made her a bit lankier.

@Ad1 Looking great!  I love what you did with his clothes, adding extra stitches and things.  Will you be adding some extra details to the face? I think he could be a bit more rugged/weary/aged looking.

@apollo580 Looks pretty good, and kudos on making that much progress!  I think he could stand to be a bit chubbier (which you could probably get away with moving his gut out in the low poly), and his hands look a bit iffy.  Can't place my finger on it, though.  I'm also curious to see if you can play around with spec/roughness/gloss a bit, particularly on the skin.  The clothes looks fairly good, as well.  Do you have a wireframe?

Also, here's my garbage!  I think I'm almost done the high poly at this point.  I'll be adjusting some stuff, wanna age his face more and make him a wee bit chubbier.  And I wanna do some more stuff with the clothes, the belts and things are just so meh right now. 

• ICESPADE
    Offline / Send Message
    @apollo580: No worries! Just try and work on the shapes and forms for as long as you can before moving to the next step. Push it until you feel you can do no more. It's coming along.

@ShortCake: Model is coming out nicely. I don't know if you're going for something different. If so, awesome! If not, still pretty cool. However, the folds in the pants are too heavy; gives off a baggy jeans look, instead of a more husky sweater look. With the arms in the blue area, there are just too many folds. Again, that's if you're going for the concept look.

@Pshyco: Thanks, man! I too felt he needed a bit more meat.

I've been a bit distracted. I actually can't find a nice set of pants to model for this guy. I have a few refs but none are doing it for me. Anyways my piece at the moment.

• apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all!  I can't wait to hop in this thread and make a big mess : ^)

@aquila Looks like a good start!  I think we could change her proportions up a little bit; I did a crappy liquify to help show what I think could help.  Mostly just made her a bit lankier.

@Ad1 Looking great!  I love what you did with his clothes, adding extra stitches and things.  Will you be adding some extra details to the face? I think he could be a bit more rugged/weary/aged looking.

@apollo580 Looks pretty good, and kudos on making that much progress!  I think he could stand to be a bit chubbier (which you could probably get away with moving his gut out in the low poly), and his hands look a bit iffy.  Can't place my finger on it, though.  I'm also curious to see if you can play around with spec/roughness/gloss a bit, particularly on the skin.  The clothes looks fairly good, as well.  Do you have a wireframe?

Also, here's my garbage!  I think I'm almost done the high poly at this point.  I'll be adjusting some stuff, wanna age his face more and make him a wee bit chubbier.  And I wanna do some more stuff with the clothes, the belts and things are just so meh right now. 

Thanks for the critique. Yeah I should definitely play with the spec map because I think that is throwing off the skin mainly. And as someone else mentioned I need to work on the skin and adding more variation.

And I love your hair! It looks so good and stylized, going to aim for that next time! Also I think the wrist guard is a bit too big and is covering the entire forearm, I think I had the same issue. But great work! 
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @Alemja: Well in that case I vote for an extension :). Otherwise I need to pick things up a little. Hope to be done with retopo and unwrapping by late next week or at least before December.

@VeryCrunchyTaco : Thanks for the feedback. That's really helpful. Lankier is what I need since I found her a somewhat short. :)
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    More progress. Worked on getting proportions right base on feedbacks :). I'm wrapping up the high res sculpting now so I can get started with retopo.

• Aonar
    Offline / Send Message
    Aonar null
    Hi guys! Some updates
    Most of anatomy and proportion are done. Now it's time to do some asymmetry and small details (veins scars etc)
    This my board for the face. For reference i use some works of Alex Oliver and random photos (Celtic, Viking, Scandinavian, old man).

Some rough clothing and anatomy.
    @ShortCake beautiful so far, really like these folds.
    @ICESPADE like your Santa, but it seems to me legs is too bent and feet little bit small

• GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    @ShortCake Thanks for sharing your method, it looks cool, I'll try that for sure. Sorry for the late reply.

Sadly I will drop this challenge, because of lack of time, I've been busy the last two weeks and it's not gonna change soon. I'm moving with a new job and have side projects to work on. I'll get on another Polycount Challenge later I hope!
    Good work everyone, have fun.
    Cheers!
  • jakeroddis
    Offline / Send Message
    jakeroddis polycounter lvl 3
    Little progress update:  focussed on the face and blocked out the body + clothes. Got so much to do and not long to do it.  :C 

Apologies for low res images forgot to up the resolution in zbrush and no time to reopen.

@VeryCrunchyTaco  Liking the overall shapes, one thing id say is watch the mouth, looks kinda pouty!

@ShortCake you really nailed the concept - looks legit! Excited to see the final :)

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Hey everybody! Since I know this time of year can be tough for people who want to make art on a deadline, due to the holidays, vacations and travel, how does everybody feel about extending the deadline until January?
  • ShortCake
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes plz! I'd greatly appreciate an extension personally. 
  • RuiShi
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    Me too! Ive not been able to touch it since I finished the block out :')
  • jakeroddis
    Offline / Send Message
    jakeroddis polycounter lvl 3
    Definitely would appreciate more time! Still loads to do :C
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    I think an extension would be nice :).

Anyways I got 2 questions, since I'm fairly new to retopologizing. I've finished the head and was wondering if the edge flow is fine the way I did it and 2nd question: Is it ok if I do not retopo the back portion of her head since it won't be seen anyway? (I get to save some time doing that...)

• Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Appreciate an extension. Thanks.
  • Lokthar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokthar polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Guys,
    First Challenge for me, blocking out the main form of the Great Father concept...
    ill appriciate an extension :)

• michaelsuwandi
    looking good people. thanks for the time extension, tho im late its still nice to be able to join this time round.
  • CocoaCup
    Offline / Send Message
    CocoaCup polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there all :)

I'd love to join the challenge, since I'm not really happy with my human skills, I picked the Great Father concept. I've spent about hour or two with zspheres to create the blockout, nothing fancy, just to have something solid as a basemesh. I'm struggling with the hooves area, so that's the next main focus and also add more definition to the body and the antlers.

• Ad1
    Offline / Send Message
    Ad1 null
    CocoaCup It looks promising, but i would maybe lenghten his legs and neck a little bit.

Long time since last update, but i was working hard on my model. Decided to use Substance for textures for the first time and i love it. I think i am finished with this challenge.

Now that i look at it i think he should be shorter and broader, but well, next time will be better.
  • michaelsuwandi
    @aquila for the back of the head will be up to you to retopo or not. if only for still render/ personal project, usually i will remove parts that cannot be seen.
    regarding the retopo, i saw there's a triangle at the cheek area, i try to keep it to quads only around the cheek area. the polys on the front neck area can be reduced too.
  • michaelsuwandi
    started working today still blocking. will have to do a lot of catching up during the weekend for sure
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @michaelsuwandi: Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm doing one last check up on my retopo before I start unwrapping so I guess I could apply your suggestions :).

Meanwhile here's where I'm currently at with my model. Pretty much done now and will start unwrapping hopefully by this weekend. Again feedback on the edge flow and retopo is appreciated :).

• michaelsuwandi
    Done with the blocking for 2day. will jump in to the details starting 2moro.

• michaelsuwandi
    feeling a bit lazy today.... still need to add the 'dots' on her armor before detailing the face.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Hey everybody! So the consensus is that most people would like a little more time to work so because of the holidays I am extending the deadline until the end of January. Hopefully that will give people enough time to finish up and I look forward to seeing more finished pieces!