Home General Discussion

Quick 3D environment sketches?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys!

Today, my feed was all filled with "weekend sketches" and the like.
Naturally, this was Inktober 2D sketches, or 2D mood paintings\concepts. The 3D work was all busts, or loosely sculpted posed characters, which all looks awesome when they are rough and unpolished.

But there is no 3D environment work.

I always end up in one of the 2 extremes. A material study\tilable texture, or something that quickly blows into a full scale environment which would take months to complete :lol: 
And that made me wonder:

What are you guys doing if you need a "quick" 3D environment related thing to do in the weekend?

Replies

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    When I want to start something I know might not end up anywhere but still want to practice, make myself some references for later I usually block it out, and push it with lighting and composition. Gathering up some refs on board
    Even if I stay within the modeling software I am pretty satisfied with the result you can get (+ some photoshop over it why not)
    (or blocking it in-engine out of primitives, works well too if not better actually)
    It's my kind of equivalent to sketching environment thing I like to do, makes me work my composition
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    @Snefer  was doing some quick 1 hour environment sketches that turned out pretty amazing, you may want to try that out to see if you end up getting new techniques into your workflow to work faster.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    You're right! Thanks, guys! :)