Home Technical Talk

Maya wrap deformer, ugly results?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jarmade polycounter lvl 5
A simple sphere with another lower poly sphere as its wrap deformer:

I edit the vertices of the deformer:

As you can see, it gives ugly results when compared to a regular lattice.

Just for comparison, here is a "Mesh Deform" modifier in Blender, which is similar to a wrap, but seems to give much cleaner results:

Am I missing something? Is there another way to deform a mesh in maya with a custom made cage? Or is a wrap deformer the only way? I have also played with the other options on the deformer, each falloff mode gives equally bad results. 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you can do is set the Envelope to .5 (and adjust as needed later), Weight Threshold to 0, and turn off Auto Threshold. It's better but not great and is situational. I also just noticed that two attributes get added into the transform section of the cage object, dropoff and smoothness.

I use wrap fairly often for "weird" clothing morphs, usually in steps. It is the only way to use a custom cage, though sometimes you'll get better results with a lattice. Since the deformers get ugly quick, I'll go back over with sculpting brushes to fix the result- I'm usually using the deformers for very large deformations, like a rough first pass.

Is there anything specific you're trying to accomplish? fStretch is a wild ride for smooth deforms.
  • Jarmade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarmade polycounter lvl 5
    @throttlekitty
    Thanks for the reply. Playing with those options does help me get a bit better results.

As for specifics, I'm trying to deform clothing to fit onto different bodies. each body has different topology and weighting to the skeleton. Usually I just do this manually, either by moving vertices or the grab sculpting brushes.