Home General Discussion

Getting a job overseas?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Hi,
I have been a member of this forum for some years now and I have been inspired and motivated by the community here. I cannot count how many times I have gotten help/solutions for technical issues I have encountered during my projects.
For the long while now, I have been working on my portfolio and working on my skills to become better at what I do while undertaking small freelance jobs so as to have free time to work on my portfolio since I graduated from a university in the UK, after undertaking a postgraduate course and returning home.
I have been applying to studios specifically archviz ones overseas especially the UK as I studied there and I met a lot of cool and professional people. I have been getting replies from a good number of studios on how good my work is but my application was unsuccessful. Some other studios show some interest but later I no longer hear from them even though I send follow up e-mails.
I am wondering if there is any advice I can get to improve my chances. I have been working very hard on my work and quite frankly, I enjoy doing this. I don't know if I would ever get a chance due to my location. Would a company in the UK ever consider hiring someone from Africa?

I would appreciate any insight or advice I can get. Thanks. :)

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    you'll probably need to have your right to work in the country secured before they even bother to look at your application. i seem to remember they introduced some restrictions to number of work visa for non EU folk a few years ago and ever since that clause has been a common sight on job adverts.

tier 2 seems to be the one i was talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points-based_immigration_system_(United_Kingdom)

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, in my case, Tier 2 is probably the only option for me to secure the right to work there and requires a job offer from a company in the UK to qualify. You have to be sponsored to be eligible for the visa. I do feel that maybe companies don't take this route due to certain requirements or protocol to obtain a sponsors license although there are presently studios that have this. 
    That's why I am working very hard on my portfolio so I could make the cut. I have also considered applying to game companies and studios that make pre-rendered cinematics as an environmental artist since I handpaint my own textures and know how to create advanced materials and good lighting.
    I have also applied to other studios outside the UK. It's just that I learnt a lot about the people, culture and cg industry during my postgrad in the UK, that's why I m applying there.
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    Getting an EU visa is very difficult, and to be honest with good reason. The US has given away so many prime jobs to foreigners instead of keeping the employment within our citizens. Europe and Canada knows this so you either need:
    A Masters Degree and recommendation
    or need to prove your skills are unobtainable by anyone else in the EU (next to impossible)
    One way around the situation is to work as an independent consultant, not an employee. If you can get a studio to contract you (I believe you have strict term limits though). But if a studio wants you bad enough, that may be a way around the system.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Getting an EU visa is very difficult, and to be honest with good reason. The US has given away so many prime jobs to foreigners instead of keeping the employment within our citizens. Europe and Canada knows this so you either need:
    A Masters Degree and recommendation
    or need to prove your skills are unobtainable by anyone else in the EU (next to impossible)
    One way around the situation is to work as an independent consultant, not an employee. If you can get a studio to contract you (I believe you have strict term limits though). But if a studio wants you bad enough, that may be a way around the system.
    What type of degree you need depends on the country. Different EU countries have different regulations. There's no single "EU immigration requirements". In some countries it's fairly easy, in others difficult.

You don't have to prove that your skills are unobtainable. The employer has to do it. The reason this is difficult isn't because it's annoying for them. They need a position open for a certain time without being able to fill it and then they need lots of paperwork and involvement with the relevant government agencies. Again, it's the local government which can press the issue of proof or go "whatever you say company, go hire that foreigner". In some unpopular places it's actually quite easy for companies to get people in.

In general you have to have an offer of work or better a contract before you'll get a working visa.

About the contractor thing, I don't know if that works in the EU for 3D artist work permits. I never heard about this when it came to 3D jobs, unless it's off-site - aka freelance - work. If you plan to work on-site for longer than 180 days a year you won't get away with it legally without a proper work permit / visa.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds as much a catch-22 type situation as their 'have no bank account -> can't get a lease;  have no lease -> can't get a bank account' thing. i swear they just do it for the LOL's.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I have been working in Holland for a while and I am originally from Australia. I shuttled around Europe for a year, and when my money was up applied for a design job at Philips. My tourist visa was valid for 3 months, and I think already being in the country made all the difference, plus at that time Philips was interested in foreign desigers, English speaking omes in particular. You could try and get to Europe on a tourist visa and then apply (in English). Its a bit risky, but it might be quicker.

I dont know how difficult it would be for you, but Im guessing a dedicated online folio would help.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    I have a MA in Architectural Visualization. I completely understand why there are restrictions and need for such that's why I am trying to be very good at what I do.
    I can handpaint my own textures meaning cost of purchasing textures online or the need to always travel out to photograph textures will be reduced, as well as the need to purchase expensive assets for scanning. My most recent works were done using only one software. This could potentially cut the studio's expenses when it comes to software.
    Apart from these, it shows my willingness to be cost effective and undertake challenging routes when it comes to workflow and still achieving the desired result. I am also open to learning new softwares or workflow if the need arises. Team player is my middle name. I would be more than happy to share how I paint my textures and other stuff with the studio I work for as well as learn from them too.

Like  Kwramm said, its the employer's job to prove that noone else could fit the job and the paperwork and requirements are just a hassle to employing someone who already has the right to work there.

From what I have gathered, I think the UK requires u to go back to your home country to apply for the tier 2 visa if a company sponsors u. I am not sure though. I do feel going on tourism isn't the best in my case as it would still be the same thing if you weren't there.  If the company wants to interview u, there is skype. Though I can see talking in person making a better impression. The fact is
    at the end of the day, the immigration officials are the ones who make the final decision so being in the country or not if a studio decides to sponsor u might not determine the outcome.

I will just have to keep working harder and hope for the best.