Home Career & Education

Humber College 3D MODELLING AND VISUAL EFFECTS PRODUCTION Opinions

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
FJuste vertex
Hello! I'm a 3D student searching for 3D classes in Canada, specially but not only, in the Toronto area. I found this course in Humber College called 3D MODELLING AND VISUAL EFFECTS PRODUCTION, but could not find any information about the class program, students or ex-students portfolio or opinions about the course. Which I think it is a bit strange. But on the other hand, it seems to be one of the few courses focused on modeling, which is what I'm willing to specialize (Modeling/Texturing), and has a kind of affordable price, $8,694.86 for domestic students and $9,069.86 for foreign students. Of course I would love to study in a place like "Think Tank", but it is just too expensive to even think about it! And I also know that the student effort is more important than the school that this student attend to, but it is better to be a focused student in a good school than a focused stundent in a bad school! :)
So, if anyone has any info about this course or sugestions about other 3D modeling classes in Canada with a similar price it would be really nice! 
Thanks!  :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a lot of money for one course, especially without any more info than just the title! I would be extremely wary of this class.

If there's no info online, I would contact the school directly and try to get more information. Who is teaching the course? Look up their experience & skill level. Who has taken the course before? Get their contact info so you can ask them how it went for them.

Be aware that on average, 3D classes are poorly taught. Approach any new class with a speculative mindset, hope to be proven wrong but expect the worst.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, it's a program of multiple courses, not one class.
    http://mediastudies.humber.ca/programs/certificate/3d-modelling-and-visual-effects-production?

Still, I would suggest finding out who is teaching each class, and looking up their work. Is their work at professional quality? Also it's extremely important to ask former students how it went for them, and if they had the same instructor as the current one.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    If I had known about this one, I would have been there.
    Cheap, diploma in a year. http://www.lecampusadn.com/
    It's in Montreal - not sure about the language tho

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I actually attended that program.

My opinion of it is, if you want to get the most out of it, always ask a teacher to help you. You might be thinking this sounds crazy to spend a lot of money on it, but the knowledge you learn by actually having professionals sit next you and guide you through modeling or rendering process , is worth more than just pulling up a PDF and reading the bullet points given to you (which is what each class was).

Also, be aware the program leans towards TV/Movie production and not games. However, I was actually the only student who took the risk and did both Game and VFX art in the same class. So I guess it's not impossible but it did mean doing 2x the work for each assignment. 

• FJuste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FJuste vertex
    Hello @Eric Chadwick, thanks for the reply! I contacted the school and I'm now waiting for the reply! You are right about having a speculative mindset, I asked for teachers' and ex-students' portfolios, just to be sure. 

Also thanks @JordanN , it is great that someone who actually attended the program replyed! By what I read, it seems that you liked the Program, and doing both, Game and VFX art for the same class seems like something I would defenitely do as well! :)
    Can you please tell me a bit more about the classes, assignments, teachers and so on?

@another caveman ,  it seems that the class is only in French, although I can understand a little bit, enough to travel and not starve to death in France, I don't think I can attend to a french speaking course, but thanks a lot for the suggestion!

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    There were two semesters. The first focused on covering ground about modeling, sculpting, lighting, particles, using photoshop and a bit of compositing software like Nuke and Syntheyes. The second semester also continued what we had learned in the first, but there was more of a focus on building the final portfolio. What I liked most about this is that all these classes had their own days. It wasn't like other colleges/schools were they would try to cram every lesson you paid for in one day. Also at the end, we got to go visit some actual Visual FX production houses and talk to the people working there.

Assignments varied but most of time you were given a topic and would then hand in a model/scene on time. Some additional advice though, it's a good idea to learn ahead of course material instead of just waiting for new ones to show up. Especially as the course goes by fast and you don't want to fall behind.

Teachers for the most part were very helpful and friendly. I don't recall a single day where any student and teacher ran into a conflict with each other. So that's an impressive take away. However, there was only one issue I had when I last attended. A teacher was sometimes absent a lot, although this was because he had gotten chicken pox. They found a substitute to fill in but he too was also absent on certain days. 
  • priyank_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priyank_ null
    HI, @JordanN thanks for info, I've completed 5 year degree architecture with 8 month of work experience in interior and exterior Architecture. I am interested in to Architectural Visualization. as there are no (off line) courses specifically for Arch-Viz. will it help me to gain skill for Architectural modeling,photo realistic rendering,VR(unreal engine). i am ready to learn which ever topics might not be help full for Arch-Viz,if most of them match Arch-VIz. which software are included in the course?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The program teaches 3D modeling and Post-Production, both of which can translate into doing Archviz. That said, I wouldn't go in expecting them to cover Archviz in depth, as I mentioned the courses are more geared towards getting people into the TV/Movie Industry. 

If you're doing Archviz as a portfolio, they could definitely help you with that though. 
  • priyank_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priyank_ null
    Thank You for that Information @JordanN
  • jason123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @JordanN Do you think that the program is suitable for who wants to focus on Visual effects as well, or is it more into 3D modeling? Was it a beneficial program for you, or did you feel that you could have learned better somewhere else or on your own? And do you think international students can find a job in Canada afterwards?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It's very suited for Visual effects (it's in the name!).

The first half of the program was focused on learning modeling and handing in modeling assignments. The second half is where it changes gears and the focus was on visual effects production like you would see in movies or television. There where 3 classes dedicated to compositing, particle simulations and fluid simulations.

I should note that I graduated in 2015, so whether the curriculum has changed in any way, you'll have to check with Humber.

As for international students landing a job, I believe 1 did get hired after the program ended but don't read too much into that (anyone who had made a portfolio that matched what a studio was looking for got hired).

Can I say this program benefit me? My honest answer is my experience was very different. When I attended, I was simultaneously learning both game art and CGI. This was my own decision however and not what the program instructs. You can technically learn everything elsewhere, so the real benefit came from working with teachers and other students. There were other unique opportunities like class trips to studios as well as studio representatives coming to give talks and answer questions.
  • jason123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @JordanN Do you think that the program is suitable for who wants to focus on Visual effects as well, or is it more into 3D modeling? Was it a beneficial program for you, or did you feel that you could And do you think international students can find a job in Canada afterwards?
  • jason123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanN Thank you for your reply, that was really helpful!
  • Hasandadah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hasandadah null
    @JordanN Hey man thanks for answering all these questions! I just stumbled upon the program recently and am really considering applying to it. I want a career in 3D branding/motion graphics, do you think this program would benefit me? I plan on learning cinema 4D on my own time as it is almost a must at this point for anyone wanting to create top level motion graphics work. What 3D software do they teach anyway? Do they teach Maya or After effects? 

Here are examples of the kind of portfolio I want create: 
    https://www.instagram.com/patrick_4d
    https://www.thepixellab.net/interview-motion-designer-jake-mathew
    https://www.instagram.com/elmotionlab/

I really like the graphical stylized look. I want to focus on getting 3D content out there for jobs in Product branding, visualization and motion graphics for advertising/broadcasting. Film would definitely fit into those categories as well. 

I am also really considering doing an advanced diploma @ Seneca in Graphic design as a lot of the places I want to apply to seem to want that as some sort of background education. I have an advanced diploma in Animation & 3D game art (seneca as well) btw so I have some good knowledge in modeling/illustration. 

So yeah knowing all that, would you say this is a good program to spend a year on? OR do you think it would be smarter to learn the ins and outs of graphic design...even tho they will not be touching 3D at all. I will have to learn more of it myself as I go through the program. (only after effects they will teach a little) 

Sorry for rambling on haha, I just want to make the right choice. Hope to hear your opinion! Thanks 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The majority of all 3D work was taught using 3DS Max. They have Maya installed on the computers but I only ever remember one lecture that used it (it was a water/particle simulation). 

After Effects is also installed but it wasn't focused on. We used Nuke and Syntheyes for video editing/post production work.

While the program does teach 3D, it's best to treat it as going there to refine your skills. A lot of students (including me) already had a 3D or Art background when we attended. So having only 1 year to go through course material wasn't quite a problem for us, because we already had an idea of what kind of job we were looking for at the end of the program.
  • Hasandadah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hasandadah null
    @JordanN Okay thank you so much for your insight! Best of luck 
  • Hasandadah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hasandadah null
    @JordanN Hey man thanks for answering all these questions! I just stumbled upon the program recently and am really considering applying to it. I want a career in 3D branding/motion graphics, do you think this program would benefit me? I plan on learning cinema 4D on my own time as it is almost a must at this point for anyone wanting to create top level motion graphics work. What 3D software do they teach anyway? Do they teach Maya or After effects? 

Would the VFX part of the program help me create work similar to the ones above?

I really like the graphical stylized look. I want to focus on getting 3D content out there for jobs in Product branding, visualization and motion graphics for advertising/broadcasting. Film would definitely fit into those categories as well. 

I am also really considering doing an advanced diploma @ Seneca in Graphic design as a lot of the places I want to apply to seem to want that as some sort of background education. I have an advanced diploma in Animation & 3D game art (seneca as well) btw so I have some good knowledge in modeling/illustration. 

So yeah knowing all that, would you say this is a good program to spend a year on? OR do you think it would be smarter to learn the ins and outs of graphic design...even tho they will not be touching 3D at all. I will have to learn more of it myself as I go through the program. (only after effects they will teach a little) 

Sorry for rambling on haha, I just want to make the right choice. Hope to hear your opinion! Thanks 
  • Hasandadah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hasandadah null

Would the VFX part of the program help me create work similar to the ones above?