Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for portfolio and website feedback

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
brianmumphrey polycounter lvl 9
website - http://www.brianmumphrey.com/

Currently gearing up to look for new job opportunities in illustration and concept design.  I'm looking for feed back and suggestions on how to improve my current website/portfolio to be more appealing to potential employers.  I'm currently working as an illustrator/colorist at a publishing house so I have experience but it is mainly in publishing with a little side work in game design over the years working for small teams and projects.  

Any advice for what type of work to add/remove is very welcome and appreciated.  As for my website it's a bit more complicated, and I feel I'm at a loss for making a website that's simple and easy to navigate.  I'm looking to show as much as my work as possible the second you visit my page with out it feeling too cluttered or disorganized. 

I just recently went with more of an overview on the homepage that has a collection of all my work thrown together, which looked nice at first but the problem I have with this is what looks good on one screen doesn't on another.  On my home computer and on my mobile it looks good, all the pieces are sized in a way that you can see more than just a couple of pieces at once which is what I want, and can easily see that scrolling down there's more to look at.  At work though, a screen with lower resolution, its making the images MUCH bigger filling up the entire screen with a single image or 2 at the most. This I do not want as it goes back to my original problem of not being able to see enough of my work from the get go.  Should I avoid the overview that has all my work on one page?  Previous advice I've seen given to other people says limiting links, not using thumbnails and making the work immediately visible is the best approach, does this sound like a good guide line to go by? 

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions!  

Replies

• brianmumphrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's kind of silly to repost so soon, but after posting here and looking at my website on a different computer and just having some reality set in I've come to the conclusion that my portfolio needs to be redone from the ground up.  Somethings I've decided to work on and change in both my website and portfolio include:

1.  Reduce my work massively to fewer very good strong pieces/designs that stand out, currently feel like I have too much and it becomes cumbersome, in general it feels bloated.

2.  In addition to the above, making these new works all go towards one specific project and avoid 1 off pieces. I have a few things currently that are from other projects I've worked on, but not only are they old and outdated compared to progress I've made, they also are just not presented very well in my portfolio. 

3.  Website will be changed to be more streamlined with out as many links.  I feel like after looking at other sites the 3 main links I need are: Portfolio (homepage), Sketchbook/blog, and Resume/contact page. This might even bee too many as I've noticed a lot of successful sites being very simple and so I might even prune further down to 2 links (portfolio page, contact page.)

These are just the main things I've decided would be good to focus on from looking at what others have suggested in other posts similar to mine. I still welcome and would love to hear what people think I could put my efforts towards in becoming more viable in the job search so please comment if you have something to add :)  For that purpose I'm leaving my site and work up for the week to get some feedback if at all possible while I work towards some of the goals I set above.  

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    you should try this
    http://www.gameartmentor.com/
    also might wanna PMing him here on polycount, he is very very helpful.

• brianmumphrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thank you Mehran Khan!  I'll definitely hit him up!