Home Technical Talk

Highpoly practice - WIP and a question

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
This here is a JVC 3100 Video Pod from the 1970s. It's cool and worthy of being modelled, so I'm doing that. Please click links for larger res.

High Res

High Res

I'm happy enough with how it's turned out in the render but have I got too much detail in there for a decent bake? The vents in particular I've already noticed that while trying to make the low poly I'm getting a lot of pinching.

High Res

Scale is a bit off from the real world object but this was more an exercise in getting a clean high poly than making sure all details are 100%, that said crits are welcome/desired/wanted/needed!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of your inset panels and grooves are perpendicular to the surface you'll be baking from. You'll want to angle them a bit if you want to bake to a flat surface. As a quick demo, take a flat plane and extrude straight down a pattern like the basic grille like over the speaker cover. Then look at the plane straight on in an ortho view; that's what the normal baker will see.

Aside from that, no other crits here, looks like you nailed the forms pretty well and easy to read. I wouldn't worry about too much detail on this piece.
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the reply throttlekitty. Yea agreed on the panels ends and whatnot, I'm going to fix the bevels so there's more to be picked up by the bake.

The issue I'm running into most is around all the vents and along the vent struts themselves, getting a lot of pinching in the bake. I think the struts may be too thin since I've modelled the whole thing in fairly real world units.

Taking a further crack at it as I'd rather know the issues I'm facing and how to fix them before hitting my next practice piece :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I strain just right, I can maybe see something that could look like pinching in the shots you're showing. Are you seeing something different or just looking closely?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    What does your low poly look like?
    Are you modelling the physical vents in the low?  A game asset of this size would, most likely, not have those modelled and they would just be alpha'd out.  Let your normal map do some work!
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm notoriously slow at responding to posts, hence my lurking so long :)

throttlekitty - yeah I think I'm being a bit to perfectionist on it >.< long time problem for me, always had issues calling it at the 80/20 mark!
    Quack -  I was trying to use this piece as a learning exercise so tried to get the vents modelled in yeah. I think because of the size of the object though I'm ending up with pinching regardless of what I do, so gone down the route of normals/opacity instead.

I'll post another WIP later today, just finishing up the low atm. Cheers for the replies!
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, 

So I finished this up. Not 100% but I learned some stuff from doing it. Crits welcome though probably calling it done as I've been staring at it too long :) Posted it in the WAYWO thread as I think I've worked out most of the technical issues I had. Thanks again for your help!

http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2499751/#Comment_2499751