Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Spanish Cavalier

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
lkameen3 polycounter lvl 2
Hey all, latest project for my portfolio.  A cavalier I'm trying to give some Spanish flare to it.  The leather was hand done, the cloth was all Marvelous Designer.  Still have a long ways to go with the cloth and face and hair.  Its going to be game rez.

Replies

• lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays update.  worked on his shirt and doublet as well as his face and sword belt.

I need to knock back his forehead and increase res

• lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. worked on the face and the belt

• lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Painter 2 and Marmoset render for the leather and armor.  I've had it done for a while, I just was working on the rest of him and didnt post it yet.  Still have some more work to do inside painter to get him textured properly.4k map, I'm planning on having the head, the eyes, the  clothing and his cape (I would plan for it to have some sort of physics if it was going to be put in game) and his sword with the sword belt each as their own material, so that would be 5 materials for this one guy, but I may combine the sword/belt and clothing together for 4 materials
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Getting closer to being done with the highpoly for the clothing.  then retopo bake and texture!

• Lucospade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    Looks great, would love to see some more volume and structure on those lips, right now they seem very deflated and stick out to me as a weak point of the portrait.

You need to tell me how you done those sleeves. They're fantastic.
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lucospade Thanks for the feedback! Yeah his lips need work I agree

So I did the sleeves starting in Marvelous Designer:

I did the shirt first then when I got it to where I wanted it I cranked up the sim to get the really nice details.  Then I froze it and created strips of fabric to create the doublet, free sewing them onto the shirt.  Then I simmed it and strengthened the doublet so they would hold their shape better.  

After exporting a flat version and a 3d version I used the Transfer Attribute trick in Maya to get a nice quad version into zbrush.  

Then it was just a simple zmodeller Qmesh all polygons to add thickness to the shirt and did the same with doublet.  I also used the move topo brush to edit how they sat on the model and on the shirt.

I subdivided the doublet a few times and polygrouped the inside and edges, masked them, inflated the edges out and deflated the inside in using the deformation palette, creating that harsher line and rounded edge.  

And thats how I did the sleeves!
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,

nice character looks sick I really like your boots could you perhaps tell me a bit more of your workflow for them?
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sunray Hey thanks! For the boots I did them all in zbrush using zmodeler, I started with the sole and worked on how I wanted the footprint to look (the pun!) using a very low poly plane then I qmeshed for thickness, defined the heel and slope to the the toe.  after that I duplicated the subtool to temporarily seperate the sole from the leather boot.  

I then Qmeshed the base of the boot up to define the foot and then up to the knee where I wanted the boot to stop.

I used the same process for the flap and straps that go over the boot.  I used a cube from the "Initialize" palette for everything.

After that I just creased almost every edge, subdivided a few times to prevent my edge loss, then smoothed out some of the edges and used surface noise to create a base break up and then the standard brush with that 4 wrinkle alpha to create the details.  I also created my own IMM brush for the stitching and thats its own subtool.  I just export that with the high poly at baking time and it bakes to my low poly.

• lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been UV'ing the second material set.  God UVs suck! Almost there, still have a bit more to get done before I bake it. I definitely utilized my uv space better the second time around.

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the breakdown man can't wait to see it finished and those uvs are looking tight.
  • Lucospade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the reply, currently wrapping my head around MD so it was very useful. When you say a "flat" version do you mean the pre-simulated pattern of the shirt? Does MD auto UV all your shapes?

Your layouts look sweet this is going to be an awesome piece. The topology you're managing to get is mindblowing.
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lucospade  Thank you, I really appreciate it!

So the flat version is the 3d simulated mesh after ypu select the patterns you want to flatten and export and select "Reset 2D Arrangement".  

3d Simulation

3d Simulation with "Reset 2D Arrangement"

MD will take your patterns and turn them into UVs automatically, however it is a triangulated mesh, and they can become quite heavy so using ZRemesher in ZBrush is a really fast and easy trick to getting a clean quad mesh. And if you still need UVs you can keep them when you do the Transfer Attributes trick.
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put on my apron and baked the heck out of this guy! Almost done with the armor and clothing and then Ill finish up the head.  Right now I think I'm floating around 42k tris