Home Adobe Substance

(substance painter) -- Generating a colour mask (not an ID pass) for use in Unreal

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RossHildick3D polycounter lvl 3
Has anyone found an effective way to export a colour mask? Lets say I have a bin and and I want to change the colour of it. There's a crap load of dirt, grime, mould and god knows what else over the top of everything so its not a simple select by colour from the base colour in photoshop in post.

A method I found that kind of works is to have a user ("colourmask") channel dedicated to this:
For example, the initial fill layer material containing the colour that I want to be changed in the engine will be filled white on this channel and everything else, like dirt and grime, will have its colourmask channel set to black. Then I set this up with a lerp in the material editor to colour pick in the engine on the fly.

However, when exporting this map I dont get the intended results: Anything that isnt either pure black or white in the mask I generate will allow some of the original basecolor material to show through!

...so I'm obviously doing something wrong. Can someone help me out here? Im losing my mind over this!

Thanks

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you plan on using this mask to change the colors dynamically, you should make sure the part that's supposed to be dynamic is white on your diffuse by default, so that you can easily multiply any color in the shader, don't export it with a default color already set up.
  • RossHildick3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh maybe thats what im doing wrong! I'll test this and get back, thanks!
  • RossHildick3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    If you plan on using this mask to change the colors dynamically, you should make sure the part that's supposed to be dynamic is white on your diffuse by default, so that you can easily multiply any color in the shader, don't export it with a default color already set up.
    yep - that was rthe issue the whole time.

feeling very stupid but thankful.

;)