Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeons and Dragons Dragonborn - Game Character

Hey!

I'm a student trying to hone my skills in character art and this is my progress on a dragonborn sorcerer.

I've tried to spend some time getting the form/muscle detail right and I've still got a long way to go with anatomy and zBrush in general so crit is super welcome. :smile:

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Obviously your call what you want to do but given how humanoid the design is, I would go in this direction:

Same as above, but side by side instead of animated:

Key problem areas: 
    - Shoulder is extremely unnatural, joint sticks out way too far
    - Legs are very short, this is exaggerated by the fact that the knees are placed very low relative to the rest of the leg. I'd increase the leg length below the knee onwards.

Also made some silhouette changes to better represent humanoid anatomy in the upper leg area (your legs are bulging out massively in the hips), deltoid, and forearms.

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    This is suffering from a common problem a lot of enthusiastic character artists have.

As above, your underlying forms and proportions are way off, but yet you've gone ahead and added on details like scales, wrinkles and more. Stop detailing, go back to a more basic model and get the forms and proportions correct and flowing well before you add on such detail. Those details don't really hide the core problems

In addition to the above changes, the breasts aren't properly attached, they usually are attached to the pectorals, not directly connected to the deltoids.

To save work, you can cut things apart and rearrange them, even add back in details via projection, but you really do need to step back to a lower subdivision and get the forms right.
  • Georgia Jeffries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both so much for the crit, I will work on making changes to the overall form. I think I spent too much time trying to move away from the human body when that's actually what it needed to look more believable. I'll try to get the changes up soon.
  • Georgia Jeffries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made the changes suggested, subtle differences make such an improvement! Hopefully she looks to me holding her shoulders correctly now. I have her at a specific height so instead of lengthening the leg, I brought the knees up and hips down slightly.

I would like to go back and re-sculpt the anatomy, but sadly deadlines are creeping and I need to move on with this project. For a first character I should expect to learn lessons and my lesson learnt is that getting the form and muscle structures right at the start makes or breaks the sculpt.

I'm now working on retopping, a textured version should be ready soon!
  • Georgia Jeffries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some clothes onto her, first time doing any form of clothes or armour so parts may be a little weird. I am trying to find a way of putting the rope that's currently across the shoulders in a believable place, I tried across the chest but this didn't look too nice aesthetically.

I also started on some textures for her body in Substance Painter.

• Georgia Jeffries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a pose for her now, so I put everything into Toolbag.

Also with wireframes, I think I made the body too dense as I was learning as I went, so it ended up at around 65k tris.

• xerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xerpe polycounter lvl 6
    Looks dope ! Would suggest using an omni light instead of a model for the light source or maybe Both to make it look more energetic
  • Georgia Jeffries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xerpe said:
    Looks dope ! Would suggest using an omni light instead of a model for the light source or maybe Both to make it look more energetic
    Thanks! I've had a go at putting her into UE4 and made a fireball material to get rid of the random orange circle.