Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Balin's Tomb

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Evaniiish vertex
Hello!

Im creating my first UE4 scene currently and have decided to make Balin's Tomb from Lord of the Rings here is what I have so far!

Crits and advice would be awesome!

Here are the assets that are finished so far but Im happy to edit them if people have ways I can improve them! 

Replies

• Evaniiish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evaniiish vertex

Whipped out some textures for the walls and roof arch

The orange lighting is to resemble torch light and while not in the original film I want to show off the textures and models as much as possible

yelz5Depng

vf0q0STpng

• Evaniiish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evaniiish vertex

Done a fair amount on this today so feeling pretty pleased and have started trying to get a mood for the place through the lighting

Im going to try and make a nice floor texture with substance designer which i havent used before so any pointers would be great, im going to try go for a smooth stone look i think then when i add rubble ontop it will break up the large flat stone area.

hkbQOQhpng

YFjG5tipng

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Good start so far! keep going! :)
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    One thing which I consider to be sub-par is the over-glossiness on the walls (and practically all the surfaces). It looks like there was a huge rain inside, I know these kinds of interiors have some kind of moisture, but not so much moisture it looks like there was a recent flood there. And also, some of you textures seem too low res. It might be either due to the low resolution of your textures (bump them up to 4k for the walls and the floor) or your texel density is low. 
    Everything else, models, the atmosphere is good so far.

Cheers!
  • Sharur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharur polycounter lvl 2
    Looks good so far. My advice would be to make it less straight. So far the walls and everything else look too perfect. Damage it a little bit, move vertices around. There are no straight lines in these type of structures.
  • Evaniiish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evaniiish vertex
    Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback was a lovely surprise to come on and see the messages! 

Good start so far! keep going! :)
    Thank you, I appreciate your kind words!

EpicBeardMan said:
    One thing which I consider to be sub-par is the over-glossiness on the walls (and practically all the surfaces). It looks like there was a huge rain inside, I know these kinds of interiors have some kind of moisture, but not so much moisture it looks like there was a recent flood there. And also, some of you textures seem too low res. It might be either due to the low resolution of your textures (bump them up to 4k for the walls and the floor) or your texel density is low. 
    Everything else, models, the atmosphere is good so far.

Cheers!
    I agree and I think I can probably fix the glossiness in my EU4 materials as I just have a constant which defines the specular value. I think the roof is suffering because its just  on a 2k texture (Everything in the scene is 2K currently) and i suppose it has a large area to cover, I think there are also issues with the roof arches being too low poly and the detail on them needs to be smaller but i think thats a case of redoing the normal map so shouldnt be too hard to put your suggestions in order! Thanks for the feedback!

Sharur said:
    Looks good so far. My advice would be to make it less straight. So far the walls and everything else look too perfect. Damage it a little bit, move vertices around. There are no straight lines in these type of structures.
    Yes I agree now you have pointed it out, I think ill go back and make another wall model and texture so I have 2 variations which will hopefully make them more interesting. In regards to the rest of the objects being flat I think I  need to go back to the low polys and increase the polycount as they are currently very low i.e. boxes. I'd like to make LODs so these currently models wont go to waste!

Here is an update for the scene before I read your suggestions so I will get on that when I can! Ive been working on the floor and adding rubble, currently have 2 rock variations, fallen pillars, a dust pile and these stone spikes which i noticed where dotted around in the film. Just need to stick them into the scene and will update again at a later date.

I think ive messed with the lighting in a bad way, im going to try revert back to the old scene lighting and I would like to add more blue to the central light beam 

• Sharur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharur polycounter lvl 2
    @Evaniiish
    (Everything in the scene is 2K currently)

What about texel density? Not everything needs to be 2k. It's not going to look uniform. In this case, you are tiling floor, walls, etc - this is fine. But make sure you got same texel density on props, which don't have tiling texture.
    Current volumetric light is way too bright. Also, consider adding some dust and stains.
    Can't wait to see next update.

• Evaniiish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evaniiish vertex
    Another update on this scene