Home Dota 2

LOD0 to LOD1

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
What is the best practice to transition from LOD0 to LOD1? 

Are there any considerations people use when building their LOD0?   Does anyone go from LOD1 to LOD0 or build them separately? 

Replies

• Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    You have to make them so that they both have the exact same UV coordinates/ Islands, since the game switches between the 2 of them depending on which angle the player is looking from. If you are using blender, the easiest way to do this is to use the decimation modifier on your LOD0, then play with the ratio until you have the desired number of faces for LOD1
  • juraiknight
    Offline / Send Message
    juraiknight polycounter lvl 3
    I actually started the low poly first, then added polys to the areas where the camera will hit, thus needed more definition. To my knowledge, the UV mapping hasn't changed at all really, and if they did, I just tweaked them a bit and all was well. But then again, I haven't finished mine yet lol
  • Haftoof
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah I asked this same question of live-workshop.   I didn't have an understanding of how the UV's transfered, you can lower the definition just fine and the maps transfer as long as you maintain your islands so he suggested building the LOD0 then lowering down to LOD1.

Learn something new, but glad to hear other perspective.