Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Visible seams

Just starting out with Quixel suite and have a issue on my first project.  

I'm getting visible seams on my model once I apply materials.  See image for reference.  Results look good for the most part, but on the underside I can see my UV seams... texture is not seamless across them.  At least I think that's what I'm seeing.  It's either that or a normal issue.  

My normals look good when I initially load the model... see middle pic in image.  

Seams only show up after material is applied... last pic in image.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If those seams are where you've placed UV seams, you'll need to place your UV seams in a less visible place or cover up the seams with dirt or other imperfections.
  • digitaljackson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If those seams are where you've placed UV seams, you'll need to place your UV seams in a less visible place or cover up the seams with dirt or other imperfections.
    OK, thanks for the reply.  Yes, those are where my UV seams are located.  I guess I was thinking that Quixel would seamlessly tile across the UV's... apparently not.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    DDO (Quixel is the company, not the tool ;) ) is only capable of texturing in UV space. There's no projection mapping yet, so you'll have to use old-school techniques for hiding seams. It's generally a good practice to place seams in the least visible place regardless - issues like this are just one reason why.

There's another option you can try. You can always use a Color Paint layer in DDO to hand-paint over the seams to cover up any transitions. If utilized properly, this technique can look as though you sanded down the trouble spots. You'd need to copy the paint layer to your other texture channels to really push it, but it's certainly doable!

The option also exists to duplicate the material layer and change the scale up or down a notch or two, and then paint over the seams in a random fashion to help hide them.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the seams don't show on the middle render because the surface isn't as glossy as the third render which material on it. This is a bake issue. Probably would disappear with proper cage.