Home Technical Talk

HELP with setting controls for a character rig...I'm an environment artist

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
So, the crew I'm helping with an alpha demo, somehow, someway one of the characters we needed for it is gone.  Don't know how or why but I downloaded Make Human in a desperate attempt to have something for the end of the demo.  Which we need to have the character animating before the weekend.

Anyway, I know nothing of character rigs or creating the controls for them.  Using this rig from the MH character export, I tried following one video for creating controls but it was using the 3ds Max biped.  This rig is the Game Engine selection from MH.  What would be the fastest and least of a headache for an environment artist to add controls to this rig in 3ds Max?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest downloading a fully-rigged character model (and if possible animated too). You won't be able to do anything decent in four days, starting from scratch. 

Alpha demos typically have alpha content, and the art is not nearly as important as the gameplay.

Which game engine is being used? Both Unreal and Unity have animated characters available.

If you're dead-set on getting a character in your game which matches your art style, then I'd suggest getting an existing rigged and animated character in Max format, and replacing the skin only. But it better be a rig that's supported by your game engine, engines are typically very picky about bone names and hierarchies.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you for the reply.  This matter has been resolved with the help from a friend that I didn't know could rig.  I wasn't too worried about how it was going to look, yesterday was going to be my only attempt at messing with this and find something, like you suggested and work with it.