Home General Discussion

Working in the USA..

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BansheeWail polycounter lvl 7
Hey I have a question, do you need as an artist, that lives outside of the United States, an academic degree to work in the American gaming industry or is an awesome portfolio and many years of experience more important than some kind of degree? I know, this might be a dumb question but I'm kinda unsure how this works and i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out and make me I little but less confused...

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    You will very likely need a degree now. There's a few exceptions but the loopholes are being closed rapidly.

I think the work experience equivalency to a degree is 12 years. 

This isn't a matter of a company willing you to get in. This is a government issue with immigration and border control. 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    This might be a silly question too, but does it matter the degree? Can you just take the quickest easiest course or does it have to directly be associated with the job?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The portfolio is what gets you noticed in the first place. Then the company willing to fly you in/sponsor you needs to demonstrate to the visa administration that they have to hire you because they can't find anyone local as qualified as you are. This is when the degree, the years of work experience and your existing publications and rewards come into play.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement

A couple years ago, good ways to demonstrate abilities and achievements would have been to be featured in Vertex, appearing in CG magazines, releasing Gnomon DVDs, wining international art contests, and so on. These days I suppose that these still apply, as well as probably having a strong Patreon/Youtube presence, and presenting a talk at THU and at the Zbrush Summit for instance. All of that starts with creating top quality content to get noticed, so in a way the answer is both complicated and very simple at the same time.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    This might be a silly question too, but does it matter the degree? Can you just take the quickest easiest course or does it have to directly be associated with the job?
    I am very interested in knowing the answer to this question too
    Been considering taking non-related to videogame courses and pass a degree to be able to apply to an american work permit. (and learn new stuff at the same time)

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Can you just take the quickest easiest course or does it have to directly be associated with the job?

This can totally depend on whoever is reviewing your visa application. Something "quick and easy" could very well raise a red flag. There is really no exact science behind all this, and filing for a O1 is a long and expensive process.

(I should probably explain my background : I worked in the US under a E2 visa for 6 years (= roughly equivalent to a H1B), and was in the middle of getting a O1 but eventually decided to leave to go back to Europe at that time).
  • kysg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
    I wouldn't bank on working in US for this kinda work if you live outside.   1st problem is always going to be visa/degree.  I went to school with people in Cali and plenty of people would come from South Korea, Bulgaria, Singapore only to find out after you get your degree you can't get work and have to go back home.  Not trying to be negative just saying.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg said:
    I wouldn't bank on working in US for this kinda work if you live outside.   1st problem is always going to be visa/degree.  I went to school with people in Cali and plenty of people would come from South Korea, Bulgaria, Singapore only to find out after you get your degree you can't get work and have to go back home.  Not trying to be negative just saying.
    Well from what I could read, if you graduate there, on the US ground, you have like way more chances of getting the work permit, because they select the 50k first applicants non-randomly or something ?

Also I guess if you have the company to back you up it's way easier, but that requires a big company to hire you to begin with right
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    You're a Canadian, so the easiest route is the NAFTA visa.

TN-Visa.
    http://www.canadiansinusa.com/Working-in-the-US/tn-visa.html
    (We are listed under Graphic Designer)

The O-Visa was used by a lot of companies for anyone that wrote a Vertex article, or was a finalist in Dominance war (This avenue is being heavily cracked down on now).

I have colleagues who graduated from CentreNAD with certification, and 17+ years experience with several AAA titles, and were Unearthly Challenge finalists who were turned away at the border recently.

This isn't simply about a company wanting you bad enough. You have to prove to a border guard who has zero idea what you do, that you're not just taking the job of another American. 

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    As many have mentioned, this is an uphill battle.  The immigration issues are the biggest challenge but even just on art alone, it will be extremely difficult.  The game and movie industry is INSANELY saturated here in the US.  You would not only have to beat out the artists here but anyone else coming from overseas.  I would think you would be far better off freelancing from wherever you are now.  Not to say that it is impossible but highly unlikely is a safe assumption.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thanks for advices here!

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ya, Ive heard that for every year you`re missing from a 4 year degree, you need something like 3 or 4 years of experience. 
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Well from what I could read, if you graduate there, on the US ground, you have like way more chances of getting the work permit, because they select the 50k first applicants non-randomly or something ?

You can sign up for a 1 year work visa (I think it's officially called something else than work visa) after you finish your degree. You need to have a job lined up though. Unless you have a top folio right at graduation this is unlikely these days for 3D artists, unless you're also ok with jobs in related fields (e.g. arch viz, advertising, etc.) After this year your employer can sponsor you for a regular visa and in this case I think your application is given preference over everyone else, since you're already in the US and employed there.

These days it's not worth the hassle unless you really need to be in the USA for personal reasons, or for the weather. Especially in Canada there are plenty of great studios, and there are going to be even more. US companies realize that it's a real advantage if they can attract foreign talent with an easier immigration process. Expect to see more IT and game companies opening up branches across the border.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I just got art test for a company in the states and I live in Australia, so I'd say keep working, best thing you can do to up your chances would be save up for an art event over there and put a face to the name. to be honest if they know you are solid, they will try harder to get you over there. I just returned from the Zbrush summit and got a lot of opportunities and connections from doing so.

fyi. I have no degree and I am a junior level so, hope this help you get through the struggle.
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    Depends on the studio. Bigger studios have more internal corporate rules to abide by. Smaller studios, like mine, are much easier to work for remotely. When Im looking for a production artist, what I need is talent, great communication (fast response and Skype without issues). And good turn around with minimal hand holding.
    but to answer your question. Degree, resume and references dont mean much with a poor portfolio of work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Portfolio gets their attention. The degree gets you past the border, but not past the red tape and holy hell is there a lot of red tape.

At my last job we had a really hard time hiring a super talented person from South Africa. He had a degree, he had 14 years of experience and had worked in the US before.

The people at immigration where being total a-holes about it. They took days and weeks to get back to us about simple questions and procedures. In the end they said we hadn't looked hard enough within the US and demanded that we prove that he was the only one that could do the job. To top it off the only kind of visa we were allowed to sponsor was a temporary one.

There were other candidates that we interviewed but none as qualified and none that we thought were a good match. Most of them would have required on the job training and we really wanted someone to fill a senior role not a junior.

The process was such a pain and taking so long, we ended up closing the position and outsourcing the work, which really added a layer of friction that we didn't want to add but didn't really have a choice.

Basically if they're an employer that hires from outside the US regularly like Microsoft, Boeing or Agriculture, you have a fast track to getting people hired. If you are a smaller employer, they are going to be a-holes. Probably more so if a certain wall building candidate weasels his way into office.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    sziada said:
    I just got art test for a company in the states and I live in Australia, so I'd say keep working...

... I have no degree and I am a junior level so, hope this help you get through the struggle.

Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes!
  • BansheeWail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BansheeWail polycounter lvl 7
    First of all, thank you all for the responses! This helped me a lot!

Well, the reason why i asked this question was because i have a certain company in mind that is located in the usa and i saw that some of their artist, which also lived outside of the states before they started working there, had an bachelor degree but like some of you said it depends on how big the company is and if they really want you in their team...
    Right now i've been studying something that doesn't interest me at all just to get my bachelor degree so i can work in the US (well, i thought it wouldn't be so dificult at all...) and it's taking so much time and effort that i'm not really able to set up an good portfolio... But i guess, the best thing i could do for now is to find a job in the german gaming industry so i can gain some experience and try to build a online presence in the meantime (and of course forget about the dream of working in the usa... haha)
    It really makes sense, a degree does not guarantee to get you across the us-border or to find a job in the game industry whether in the usa or somewhere else in the world. It's all about the portfolio and a lot of luck, i think...

But really guys, thank you all for the advices! It's good to hear all the different experiences you all have made and I appreciate it that you shared them with me!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    First of all, thank you all for the responses! This helped me a lot!

Well, the reason why i asked this question was because i have a certain company in mind that is located in the usa and i saw that some of their artist, which also lived outside of the states before they started working there, had an bachelor degree but like some of you said it depends on how big the company is and if they really want you in their team...
    Right now i've been studying something that doesn't interest me at all just to get my bachelor degree so i can work in the US (well, i thought it wouldn't be so dificult at all...) and it's taking so much time and effort that i'm not really able to set up an good portfolio... But i guess, the best thing i could do for now is to find a job in the german gaming industry so i can gain some experience and try to build a online presence in the meantime (and of course forget about the dream of working in the usa... haha)
    It really makes sense, a degree does not guarantee to get you across the us-border or to find a job in the game industry whether in the usa or somewhere else in the world. It's all about the portfolio and a lot of luck, i think...

But really guys, thank you all for the advices! It's good to hear all the different experiences you all have made and I appreciate it that you shared them with me!
    ouch. Germany is getting better as game dev country, but it's still painful to see how small the industry is (not counting all the money grubbing "monetization first!" mobile studios).

My recommendation would be trying the UK. It's still over 2 years to the Brexit, and your first job surely won't be your final one. 1 - 2 years is a good time for that first job. UK has a much better choice on mature studios, and the salaries should still be better than in Germany. Yes, studios are hiring less due to the Brexit, but there may also be less competition, with EU citizens wondering if it's worth to compete for jobs there, given that they may be thrown out or face serious problems 2 years later.

Sweden is also very active when it comes to games. Compared to Germany the studio vs. population ratio is much better there. Social security is very high there, which might be a good thing for young people in Germany who grew up with the whole "time limited contracts" and "internship" horror stories. I found that Scandinavians are generally more easy going and relaxed, which makes working there fun.

Also, work on a Plan B! To me, getting to the US seems to be like gambling. There's definitely an element of luck involved. Or maybe you'll just outgrow the "I must work at studio XY!" phase. 10 years ago I would have killed for working in certain places. But nowadays I don't care. I love my work, I have a great team, and in comparison the studio's name and credentials matter much less to me.
  • BrianShray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianShray polycounter lvl 4
    Art Cafe #43 - US Immigration - Alexandria Neonakis & Robert L. Herreria
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YsNMlc8YQ

This should answer everything.