Home Technical Talk

Rendering PBR metal rough in Maya

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
Hey all, quick question for yall.  How would I go about applying textures exported from substance painter onto the models in maya, and then be able to render out an actual video from that?

I've seen and used the Stingray shader but that doesn't seem as robust as say mental ray at getting proper light and shadows.  Does anyone know of a shader that I could use that does pbr metal/rough that also works with mental ray?

I'm asking because I'm working on a piece for the reallusion character challenge but I'm not sure how i'm going to go about rendering the film for the submission yet.  If I have to render it in stingray I will, it just seems odd that maya doesn't have a more standard way to use pbr yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks everyone.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With Stingray you'd have to capture your viewport for video, it doesn't do rendering, just realtime. I've never used the feature, but "playblast" is what you'll want if you decide on that route. You can playblast anything the viewport can do, AFAIK, so if you find another shader you like better, that's also an option.

Mental Ray has the mila materials, which are PBR. You will want to read the maya documentation on them, they're not necessarily complex, just different. Here's a video describing the process, and Allegorithmic's minitut for setting up the mila layers.
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    I think doing a playblast is gonna end up being what I go with.  Just seems so weird that there's no good shaders in maya for utilitzing pbr workflow with mental ray yet.