Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game character concepting - c&c needed

null
Offline / Send Message
timohuov null
Hello all!

Long time viewer and first time poster here. I am currently working as 3D intern and got an opportunity to (get out of my comfort zone) and do sketching and designing of a new playable characters for our arena tournament fighter game. This is where any comments & critics would be greatly appreciated, since 2D is definitely not my strongest area.

The game is roman era gladiator fighter (Gladiator Bastards), so the new characters are relating to Rome & gladiators.
Firstly we have the British celtic warrior queen Boudica, who's out for blood against everyone and anything to do with Rome, for all the horrors she had suffered (and has gained some weight since her queen days).
Second character is Caesar Nero, who's returned back to avenge shaming of his name (for being the burner of rome).

Any c&c will be greatly appreciated!

-Timo

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • timohuov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timohuov null
    Hello there TeriyakiStyle & thanks for the feedback!

I know, it doesnt actually resemble historically accurate Boudica, but after the first meeting and showing the thumbnails, we were looking for a more interesting silhouette since the game has already 2 "typical" female characters. Either the name or the character needs some work :)

In the silhoutette part of the process we chose number 11 for Nero and one of Boudica line (12-16)

• Aaron Barnett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaron Barnett vertex
    Aside from needing some historical references as @TeriyakiStyle mentioned. The knight has potential but the angle he's drawn in hides any hints at his silhouette, so he just looks a bit flat.

I would also take some time and work on the rendering of the characters as well. The highlights are a bid scratchy and not blended enough. Also I'd revisit the Queens garb. The skirt almost looks like a flannel shirt tied around her waist. But again that ties into having strong reference materials to pull from. Good luck with the game and internship!