Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Design,feedback needed (something is missing,feels a bit plain)

ArtLearner
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ArtLearner polycounter lvl 3
Hi people of polycount long time no see, 
Currently working on a character for a school assignment only it really feels like it's missing something, it's a mecha/organic suit, it should resemble it taking over the body,this would happen when she feels feelings, Would love feedback or maybe a paint over on how I can improve the design before starting the 3D process.
After this week I have around 4 weeks to turn the design in to a 3D character 
thanks in advance 

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • krraej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    I'm with TeriyakiStyly -- it's definitely missing more definition. You're saying the blue tentacle-like things are parts of some kind of mecha/organic suit so I'm expecting some metal, but the shading doesn't reflect that. The red part of her suit looks very soft, almost like it's made out of velvet, but it lacks definition and doesn't fit in with where the light is hitting her skin.

Anatomy-wise, there's a lot to improve. Her legs are very short compared to the rest of her body; her face isn't even remotely symmetric (her one eye is almost twice the size of her other eye); what you cast in shade and what you highlight is very arbitrary. It's good that you've added some sketches to familiarize yourself with her proportions better, but they look like some gesture drawing practices rather than efforts to further define her character.

All in all, it'd suggest you take a short break and review some art fundamentals before you try to model her  in 3D and then run into a lot of anatomy, design, and material problems.

I'd highly recommend you read through these two books by Andrew Loomis:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/documents/1344503651books/147941.pdf

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands.pdf

Good luck and don't get discouraged! :)