Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Placeholder Skeletal Mesh?

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Would I be wasting time by creating animations for a placeholder skeletal mesh, and transferring those animations to another skeletal mesh which will utilize the same skeletal rig (the finalized character)?

I'm creating a playable level, and I want to initially get the player's mechanics animations down so that I can work on the aesthetics of the level. Thank you.

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    no, you'd be potentially saving time. The sooner you get animations in to play test the sooner you can see where potential issues may lie and adjust accordingly.

As long as the skeleton hierarchy is exactly the same it doesn't matter what the rendered mesh looks like for the game engine. Oftentimes proxy mesh is just a bunch of tubes and boxes childed to the skeleton joints. You do want a proxy that has the same build as final character as much as possible as the silhouette and masses will determine the motions that are believable for the character.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    Is this true if the skeletal mesh will also include armor?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Yea. Armor, props, etc. As long as the joints between the two rigs have matching names and are located in the same place in the overall hierarchy the animations will work. All bets are off if the hierarchy are different between the two.