Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Quick question: How do I do this UV wrapping?

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
I want to get it so that each face overlaps each other, so that the final UV snapshot is just a box or a rectangle. Not all the faces on this object are exactly the same length, so manually overlapping these faces would take a lot of time if I'm not mistaken. I don't mind a little bit of stretching. 

What is the best way to overlap these things together, or otherwise do a mesh like this simply without any inconsistencies from seams?

Replies

• Turbopasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
    I'm dumb, I thought it would take longer to do this manually but I'm doing it now and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I'm not sure I can remove threads on here. 

EDIT: Turns out I'm even dumber than I thought. I finished this but it took forever, it would have been way smarter to convert to a smaller amount of polys, line them up in the UV editor, then smooth. Live n Learn I guess.
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds like you may want to use a tiling texture, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

Try doing this,

1. Select all faces, in the UV editor Unitize the faces (this will draw all face exactly to 0-1)

2. Select all edges, deselect the edges you want to be a seam.

3. Move and sew all the edges you have selected.

4. Unfold the faces, constrain to Vertical than Unfold constrained to Horizontal