Home General Discussion

Games in similar visual style to HotS and BR

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

I'm looking for games that are similar in style to HotS and Battlerite. Just visually, not game design etc.
Before I go on random google spree, I thought I could ask in here :)

Any specific games I should be aware of?

Replies

• leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I'm assuming you're looking for the "samwise-influenced" style of 3d handpaintedness with distance-optimized character proportions and potential complimentary (ab)use of the Benguiat typeface.

The Torchlights,  Dungeon Defenders, and Paladins are just a few that I can immediately name off the top of my head right now. besides the obvious warcrafts beyond 2
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The games you named are fundamentally different than what he's asking for. You're describing the simple diffuse-only style, which can be found anywhere. 90% of 3D mobile games use it.
    The games he listed use full materials in the otherwise painterly style. I prefer that style as well.
    DotA 2 is like that, though the quality level varies wildly by its nature.
    There's also Battleborn, Starcraft 2, Darksiders to an extent (environments are closer to photo-real, clashing with the characters), and Wildstar (the Wildstar creatures in particular are amaaaaaaaazing). Not sure of others, though I know there's plenty.
    If you'd like, I could point you to the portfolios of some of the better artists who work in that style.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    While it was cancelled the artwork for Dawngate was pretty similar to that chunky HotS feel.  Some art stuff from it at https://www.artstation.com/search?q=Dawngate&sorting=recent .
    While I agree with Grimwolf regarding materials keep in mind that sometimes the art used to create something is very different than the end result.  There are many games now that use ZBrush sculpting even if the end result is 100% diffuse.  I know from seeing the recent WoW art dumps that they sometimes use sculpts to bake base textures for painting.  Also some of the Borderlands 2 art stuff had some really cool sculpts as well.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, all of you.
    Grimwolf is right :) Perhaps I was unclear about that.

Thanks, I didnt know about dawngate, and I had forgotten about some of the others!