Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

.Diver Scene

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
I've been working on this for the past few days. It's going to be one of those long form, panel-less comics featuring a character in a sequential set of poses. It's almost like key framing really.

I know I said I'd do something simple next to help me work on my painting, but I am an idiot so we find ourselves where we are.

Replies

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the full red-line sketch:

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a few hours tonight building up object masks. It's a technique I'm long overdue in adding to my skill set.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really neat. Looking forward to the progression!
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm cheating a bit with the isometric view of the room, but I have something like eighty inches of psychedelic, hacking abstraction below that.

I've never done acid/hallucination style imagery before so this will be an interesting challenge.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, masks are done enough to get working. I really get the feeling I'm overdoing it though. Rendering starts tomorrow(today technically).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah all of them. I'm doing it wrong arent I.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to port this to photoshop then. I've really grown to like painting in Clip Studio...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be agreeing with you 100% of I was using a wacom to paint with. As it is I'm on a surface 3 and I've gotten the impression that ntrig just isn't capable of using the full suit of effects that Photoshop has available.

I might be wrong about this (probably am) but I've gotten the impression from tutorials I've watched that the angle of the brush can be altered on the fly in PS while using a wacom tablet, without having to either rotate the screen or hand alter the brush angle via the brush menu. Am I wrong about that?
  • krraej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    that's how I'd do it - and if you cntrl+alt click in photoshop you can zip between layers. 

https://i.gyazo.com/222e2ea03c7122a4ac1a2572ad300ad5.gif
    Clip Studio Paint actually has that very same feature. The only difference is that you only have to hold CTRL and then left click on the canvas to switch between the active layers. So you don't have to switch between programs just for that. But TeriyakiStyle is right; sooner or later you gotta get used to Photoshop. It's the industry standard and you'll just make your life unnecessarily harder if you don't add it to your tool list.

I might be wrong about this (probably am) but I've gotten the impression from tutorials I've watched that the angle of the brush can be altered on the fly in PS while using a wacom tablet, without having to either rotate the screen or hand alter the brush angle via the brush menu. Am I wrong about that?
    That is correct. Photoshop gives you multiple ways to customize your brushes. For instance, you can set the Angle Jitter to Direction in the Brush menu, and the brush will tilt in the direction your pen is going. This can create a really nice effect when you're using non-round brushes.

Really ambitious project, by the way! I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Krraej! Thanks for both of those tips.

I'm using Clip Studio right now for it's brush feel. I caught it on sale a while back and I really like it so long as I'm not using it to edit photos. I've used photoshop for the better part of two decades, but I've been locked in CS3 for about the last eight of those years. CC's interface is familiar enough to make me expect things, but foreign enough to trip me up so I've been sticking with the comfort of Clip Studio.

On top of that I've not really experimented with photoshop's brush settings. I understand size, opacity, fade and flow, but the other settings are mysteries. Are there any that I need to understand more than others going forward?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the brush link TeriyakiStyle, I'll be messing around with those to see what I can learn.

Teusday's Update.
    The dayglow masks I put together got a bit overwhelming, so I dialed things back and just started slopping tones down on major planes. I used the mask shapes to define the masks for these new objects as I went along and it's going much better than I expected.

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wednesday's Update:

Not a lot of time to work tonight so the new stuff is a little slap dash. The addition of the large pipes has thrown off the shading of the others. Will fix as I roll forward.

• krraej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    I'm using Clip Studio right now for it's brush feel. I caught it on sale a while back and I really like it so long as I'm not using it to edit photos. I've used photoshop for the better part of two decades, but I've been locked in CS3 for about the last eight of those years. 
    Oh, I see! I misunderstood you then. That's good that you're familiar with Photoshop. And I feel you -- I really like Clip Studio Paint's brushes as well, and use it often as a supplement to Photoshop.

On top of that I've not really experimented with photoshop's brush settings. I understand size, opacity, fade and flow, but the other settings are mysteries. Are there any that I need to understand more than others going forward?
    Personally, I'd recommend you should try your hand at making your own two or three custom brushes. Just sit down for one day and go crazy with all the options in the brush menu. It'll help you see how many options Photoshop gives you and what its restrictions are. And maybe you'll even create a brush that you really like. You don't need to know every  options in there, and knowing what flow and size does and so on will carry you far, but tinkering with some more in-depth options might speed up your workflow in the future.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think a combination of Teriyaki Style's brush link, and comparative testing is going to take me where I need to go.

Friday's Update:
    Made some great progress tonight. I find myself blundering into these little insights where something regarding the direction, visibility and intensity of the available light suddenly becomes very clear. I need to stop filling in pieces around the water heater and jump to the foreground next. Until I get the computer monitor built that corner of the room is just going to be a lot of pussy-footing in mid tones.

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saturday's Update:

This new lightsource is proving tricky. It's going to throw a lot of bounce light back to the left, and flood the right side. I need to get rid of the bloom and paint that brightness into the environment legit.

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    about that rotate brushes on the fly in photoshop:
    http://chrisoatley.com/rotate-brushes-photoshop/
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man is it just me or is this solution way more involved than it should be? Huge thanks for the link @EVF