Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female superhero WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
lasoob polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, currently working on a superhero character for my portfolio. Blocking in my costume atm but I keep going back and forth with ideas and seem to be stuck in a rut with it so critique and suggestions would be really helpful. There's an ugly seam at the neck from the body being a separate subtool so don't mind that

Replies

• lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    Been trying to make progress when I have time. Working on clothing bit by bit and keeping the design simple. She's going to probably be textured bright green as I'm basing her on Exiles version of Polaris mainly but a more everyday version of her costume. Boots are currently annoyingly symmetrical
  • lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    Been working on the arms, gloves and cuffs. Started blocking in the hair - had wanted long and wavy hair but after trying that out I think it might be nicer to have less body to the hair. I'm going to use some of the underlying cards but get rid of the ones that remind of Medusa's snakes :D and simplify

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Really liking what you've done to the costume a lot. Big improvement over the prototype on the 1st post.

Any side shot ? Her hips seem a little .... flat.  Her hairline seems too far back and it looks like she doesn't have enough cranium. And please give her eyebrows.
  • lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    Hi PyrZern, thanks for the crit :) Here's her side view so far with and without lower arms

I think I'm a bit hip blind atm so please let me know if you think it needs adjustment.
    With the cranium - I checked against various ref of women and of skulls and from the side at least it appears to be a suitable size but let me know what you think. I won't be adding eyebrows yet though as the facial features aren't finalised so I don't want to get ahead of myself by adding them. They're going to be extra plane geo in the final version :)
  • lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    The colour is just polypaint base for me to get a feel for what I'm doing but I'll be taking the mesh into substance to tetxure.

Been laying in different hair - I prefer it from the 1st attempt. Needs gaps filled and the cards tightened up to the main bulk of the hair. I want to add some fine hair strands in there too rather than the thinner strips of lighter green before moving on. Different face now also.
  • lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    I've been creating my materials and textures for the clothing. Really happy with how they're coming along - still not sure about the yellow laces :#
    For her face - I don't think I'll end up going with dark makeup like this - it's too harsh but I wanted to try it out.
    Realised when I was putting together my screenshot of the face that I want to make it much better so I made a paintover to help me make it better. Stil lots to do.

There's an error on one of the boot straps that needs correcting yet

I definitely think the paintover is a way more appealing face 

• lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8

Angry face, lighting and stuff. Texturing the environment pieces next. I also now like the dark makeup so I'm a keep it.