Home Technical Talk

MAYA Vieport problem

OneMoreShepard
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
OneMoreShepard polycounter lvl 4
So the problem is: turns out I moddeled the scene in milimeters insted of centimeters, so I scale it to appropriate... scale. But after that, here is what it looks like in viewport. Black artifacts on edges, low render range (don't know ther right term). How can I fix it?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the same problem as this thread. Changing your scene scale didn't adjust your camera settings automagically. Select each camera and set the Near and Far clip values. For near, I'd start with 0.001 to 0.01, and for far 3000 to 5000, see how it looks and adjust from there. Also check that your orthographic cameras are positioned well using the move tool.
  • OneMoreShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the same problem as this thread. Changing your scene scale didn't adjust your camera settings automagically. Select each camera and set the Near and Far clip values. For near, I'd start with 0.001 to 0.01, and for far 3000 to 5000, see how it looks and adjust from there. Also check that your orthographic cameras are positioned well using the move tool.
    @throttlekitty
     Thanks! Worked like a charm. For me values were 0.2 for near clipping and 15k for far. Another problem is, I needed to combine my scene before scaling it, so it messed my grouping in outliner, but it's a minor issue.

Nevermind silly me, I could just scale group, not combined mesh)

But another problem, mesh is black in top view, no matter distance or camera settings.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the camera actually located on top looking down?
  • OneMoreShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the camera actually located on top looking down?
    @throttlekitty
    Yes. 

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm stumped, sorry. I can see in the other views that your mesh normals are most likely fine, but try conform normals. Maybe reset transforms on the camera if that doesn't help.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Are you sure what you are seeing isn't the back of the polygons?  In more recent versions of Maya, the default display for the inside of mesh volumes is to render black.  Try going under the Shading viewport menu and enabling Backface Culling.
  • OneMoreShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm stumped, sorry. I can see in the other views that your mesh normals are most likely fine, but try conform normals. Maybe reset transforms on the camera if that doesn't help.
    Bartalon said:
    Are you sure what you are seeing isn't the back of the polygons?  In more recent versions of Maya, the default display for the inside of mesh volumes is to render black.  Try going under the Shading viewport menu and enabling Backface Culling.
    Didn't help, unfortunately :( Thanks for trying anyway :)