Home Quixel Megascans

2D Atlases and how to use them

Hirudo89
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Hirudo89 triangle
Hey there! Just wondering how you guys use the 2D atlases provided by megascans, such as this things here:

Im thinking about the best way to use them, and it would be nice to know how you do this, since i am a beginner as of now ^^

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The same way you'd use any other atlas - you create geometry around the segments of the atlas and shape that geometry into a representation of the object you desire. :)
  • Hirudo89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hirudo89 triangle
    So for example, take the leafes and make a pile of them? Or seperate them to use with the scatter-brush? 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Whatever you'd like to do with them - it's your choice! Make leaf piles that you can strategically place, or use a foliage system to throw them around. There's a ton of things you can do. :)
  • lrobin5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lrobin5000 null
    I know this thread is old but it's actually the exact question I've had for a while now.   I'm brand new to this whole 3d world but am really interested in creating plants and trees, etc.  I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of how to use these textures (atlas?).  I'm looking for more of a tutorial or something that literally shows how to use the atlas for a beginner and explains the whole aspect.  I am learning maya and have watched enough tutorials to create a shader using a texture that's divided equally into 4x4 quads.  The downloads from megascans don't line up like that so I'm guessing they have to be applied in a totally different way (create geometry as you mentioned above?).  I know I probably sound stupid asking for more of a specific answer than you gave the original poster but I really just don't know where to begin.  Any advice on where to find some specific tutorials or where to look to learn more about the process required to use megascan leaf textures would be greatly appreciated!!

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Check out @musashidan tuts on the topic, it's recent and it shouldn't be too hard to follow for a beginner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnAKaSs9BU&t=272s

In fact his entire channel is very nice - the only downside is that he speaks a very peculiar English. Don't know where he's from, but it's not easy on the ear for a non native like me.