Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - Sept. & Oct. 2016 (44)

Replies

• Buch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buch null
    @Shuaws Thanks! What are "trim sheets" exactly? I'm not used to all the technical words here apparently. But if you mean "sculpting all the normals manually", yes, that's what I did. I used Quixel for it. No high poly baking. I hesitated between large normal maps and decals, but as I am using Unity and actually don't know how to use multiple UV channels with the standard shaders, I choose large maps. That's not opti for real time rendering I guess, there has to be a better way to do it, but that makes the job for a single rendering.

@alex1111 Thanks for the feedback too! Yes, it totally makes sense. I talked once with a dev from Krysalide, and he said something like that too, that the texture had to show us the objects were "used" (in a proper way, like you just mentioned). I just got lost in all the details of the scene and forgot. I'll make an update when I can.

I can't wait to see other final posts, to discuss about different ways to do it :)
  • haxxerdmedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, a week ago I discovered this website and the truth is that I find it very curious , this is what I have done, I started yesterday. I have to say that I have any qualifications or course, I am very noob :P i like so much all yours works. (sorry for my english, i am spanish) 
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Took me a while to find this today! Any chance we can get it pinned like the character bi-monthly challenge? 
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supersnakelx polycounter lvl 7
    So I have been following the intro tutorials to Substance Painter and got to baking normal map to work with UE4. I decided to test the same mesh with the same map in Toolbag and got a mess in comparison. The mesh was exported in a single smoothing group. Is there a way to make it appear properly in Toolbag without having to rebake?

Substance view

UE4 view

Toolbag view

• Decordova360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    @supersnakelx
    Which modeling application did you use?
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @supersnakelx
    Which modeling application did you use?
    Maya, and I exported the fbx without the tangents and binormals.
  • rallison08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rallison08 vertex
    Progressed a little further on the pistol. I think I got a few more small pieces like the trigger etc before i can start refining and texturing. @supersnakelx How did you approach the cloth band around the grip of the gun?
  • Datadieb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Datadieb null
    My Progress with the Scene so far, i will add more detail to the textures with Decals
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rallison08
    I sent the piece to Zbrush and added it there.
  • fuzesmarcell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuzesmarcell vertex
    Hi Guys
    Maybe a little bit late to the Party but I guess its never too late t o start it.

I started today with my block out. I m still having problems with the scale over all how do you guys approach it ?

• Goten-trunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    everyone doing great job , i will do shotgun this month will share wip asap
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    I'm going to do the gun. I will start this afternoon. 
  • Adel0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adel0n polycounter lvl 9
    After little pause, here is my progress so far. Added a simple tilling grunge texture and baked lighting.

• kyrzon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    Hi there!!!
    Just found this challenge.

I see nice work around, well done people!

I'm going after the scifi environment, maybe it's too late to start but i'll do my best  B)

This is the blockout so far.

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @fuzesmarcell nice start dude, for the scale I just used a basic 3D body mesh and created a box that I knew was 190 CM tall and uniformly scaled the body to the height of the box. and just did the rest by eye.

I've got a bit of progress! been real busy working this week so I didnt get quite as much done as I'd like but I got my pieces into UE4 and made some rust vertex painting to help break up the obvious repetition. Lighting is only temporary and I'm thinking of shortening the corridor as I looks a bit too long to me. Let me know what you guys think

I added a few extra panels and normal map details to make the area's a bit more interesting, drifting from the concept slightly :)
  • maj86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maj86 polycounter lvl 5
    Getting the block out done in 3ds Max. 

• xX0r1oNXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xX0r1oNXx polycounter lvl 6
    Hello all,

Getting a late start, but here's an initial blockout in UE4.
    Feedback welcome!

• leeties
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leeties null
    Hey guys, theres a lot of nice work here! It`s my first post here. Is it it too late to start this challenge? I'm very interested in doing the 2nd concept. Thanks again!
  • PolyBrother
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyBrother polycounter lvl 7
    @leeties

Nope! Got the rest of October to work on any of the concept pieces.
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Looking great all! and yes, we've still got the rest of Oct. to keep working so keep pushing on those environments!

kade
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Thanksgiving so I had some time to revisit this challenge. Honestly, Substance Painter feels like a cheat.  :D
    I also have a marmoset viewer but can't manage to add it here. If there is a way please let me know. Either way you can see it here.

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @supersnakelx really really nice! I like the sneaky addition of text on the back of the shell! my only critique would be perhaps the metal is a little too noisy and too much wear, it leaves it will little contrast, would be nice to have slightly less wear on the metal section that connects with the wooden handle, but that might just be me :) looks awesome!

Some progress of my level, brought in a load of my props and tried to match the lighting a little. the hologram screens on the left animate and the images pan in the X axis, will try and make a gif when im nearing the end :)

also added some vertex painting to the right wall so i could add a leak or oil dripping down it, pushing the deserted/ ruffed up look.  

Still need to add a few more assets, and improve on the post processing like fog, light rays and lighting in general... getting there though!
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! Nice progress on your side, really love the light.
  • Sabot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabot polycounter lvl 5
    A bit more than three weeks left to go and joining in! A bit late to the party but hey, better late than never!  B)

First time joining in, but going for concept #2 because I really fell in love with the whole "miniature as an environment" thing it has going for it! Plus it's a tiny little island, and who doesn't love those?

Currently only got the basic blockout done. Not perfectly happy with it, but I'm pushing on since I tend to get stuck in perfectionist mode otherwise!

Next up will be finishing some of the blockouts into proper low poly models and getting all the shapes right!

@Marverick : really liking your blockout shapes a lot! Great work!
    @alex111 : cool blockout! I feel you really nailed the rocks around the volcano and the miniature feel!

Awesome work everyone! So cool to see other people working on these! :)
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Final Update on my scene! got the last few finishing touches on it last night and overall really pleased with the outcome. First time using UE4 and modular pieces, so pretty happy!

Some more images and a video can be found on my artstation, check it out! :)
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8ZzAm

Any critiques or suggestions please let me know, want to get lots of feedback for the next project.

• kyrzon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    Finaly I have something interesting to show,
    I've been messing around with proportions, tried to match as close as possible the concept.

All the parts are modeled as chamfered low poly (midpoly?) and used the weightened vertex technique to match the actual starcitizen's pipeline. 

Image rendered in 3ds max with flat colors

the scene is heavy in tris count, thats the main drawback of this technique, in exchange there will be no need to bake normals or have a texture for each prop.

to optimize it I could make some details as decals, but as it's a challenge I consider everything lod0 and I'll leave the optimization for the last part

first time using averaged vertex technique, any feedback will be apreciated.

Total tri count (with duplicated props and chamfered creases): 80k
    next steps: UVs, texture, match lights in UE
  • SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a little late for this, but I thought I'd have a go at the shotgun. Finished most of the stock and the receiver. Cylinder is currently just a placeholder for scale.

• Datadieb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Datadieb null
    Still some Textures and Assets missing but i am quite happy with the result so far.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Question to anyone doing the handgun, im curious to know what you guys think of that last "barrel", im not sure its a barrel because how would the shells go in? i feel like its not supposed to be a barrel but i dont really know what its there for
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alex1111 polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, here is a small update! I was gonna give up on it, but today, I had more fun with it, hopefully I finish! There are still gonna be changes to the blockout and the textures are WIP. Next up is gonna be to refine the models, texture alongside it and just keep going. Need to fix the height of my water mesh, bit too long.

Awesome work, everyone!
    @Datadieb I think your edges on the walls are getting a bit too dark, what if you brighten them up or the spec? Your decals and smaller details are really giving great scale read.

• supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @alex1111
    That looks really promising, can't wait to see how you manage the underwater area.

My only critic for now is that the beach goes a little too far back, mostly on the right side and does not leave enough space for the vegetation; or perhaps you need more terrain in the back.
  • kyrzon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    finally I can show something decent in UE4!!
    I wasn't worrying about the engine part but it's been 2 days of importing, doing some materials, tweaking to match light conditions, glass reflections, etc.
    I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

Next step is to texture the rest of the props

any feedback is always welcome :D
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Congrats @jwills on making the polycount front page! Everyone has put forth some truly amazing work this Challenge! 

Believe it or not, it's time for our next round - I've begun the new voting thread here - so drop by and cast your vote, or bring new submissions to the table. 

Keep working hard to finish through the week and I hope you all participate in the November/December Challenge!
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @kadeschui Thank you! was pretty happy with that :D and Thank you for running our challenge!
  • kyrzon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    I think mine its finished.
     I'm quite happy with the result but i'm not sure about the lightning, maybe I try to tweak it a bit. I need to learn more about UE4 shaders and lights ...

It's been fun to make it :D

I don't want to bother you with a ton of screenshots in here so I'll put everything in my portfolio tomorrow

It's time to focus on next challenge!!