Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remedies and Poisons

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
Complete:

Hey guys,
So I finally decided to do a fun personal project and will hopefully run it through it's entirety on Polycount. I'm in dire need of replacing portfolio projects so I would love any and all feedback!

Inspired a bit by games like Skyrim and The Witcher 3, I'm aiming for something small but detailed. There are a lot of organic and non-organic assets I've decided to put in and may add more stuff or reorganize smaller assets overtime. I don't have an exact concept I'm going off of, but here are a few of my references:

Replies

• sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Small update. Mostly I've been modeling and sculpting. Here are a few simple assets and some materials I began working on. Bit more playing around with the "filled bottle" type material and what not. Trying to get swiss cheese type holes for the stem of the mushroom. Not sure if it's possible through Substances generators, still playing around with them. Anyways ......still a long way to go.

• sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Made some modeling progress on the main cart piece. Started a shingle material for the roof bit. They are not as detailed as I want them to be yet, but its a start.

Oh and I also made a rock. Something I started a while back but never got to finish. :)

• sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Ran 2 assets through my pipeline. The Chest still needs some fixing. Ill have to get back to it later.
    Lantern:

Chest:

Also, weird normal issue with the 2 wood bands there. They aren't flipped so not too sure whats going on. Probably a baking issue.
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Slowly chipping away at this.....Here is my material work so far for the cart. Still some rough places that I need to finish here and there....

• sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Still alive!! Ok so I'm at a point where I want to finish this project off without being stuck constantly tweaking the randomest things..... I just need to finalize the lighting and comp and get some final feedback and tweakage on some materials/textures. There is also a bit of repetitiveness with the wooden bowls....plants need some pots. 

....also I need some random fabrics of some sort and some signs I think. I'm looking to create an earthy base of sorts as well. Something muddy and walked on. 

• Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    I like it, but what really stands out to me is the roof. The roof is too perfect, I think it would look a lot better with a slight curve to it, and exaggerating the carved wood at the ends, as well as making the roof tiles actual meshes.
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    @Stavaas Thanks for the feedback! The roof has been bothering me for quite a while now actually. Just couldn't quite figure out what I wanted to do with it. Putting a bit more work into the central beam/carving and upgrading the roof's mesh to help push the material work sounds like a plan though. :)
  • cmc444
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice so far. I love the mushrooms and the look of the glass you created on the green bottle. 

Here are a few things that I think you could improve. 

i think the colored light is a bit strong. I think it is overwhelming the complex and nice palette you have already put into your piece and flattening it out a bit. Maybe pull back on it for now until you are almost complete with everything.

The roof terminates a bit suddenly I would find a way to model or add an alpha edge to make it hang off a bit. Also adding a bit of a slope instead of straight across would help with the overall visual and to sell the life that the cart has had.  The same goes with some of the other wooden planks. I think the texturing is solid just needs some geo changes to show a bit of warping or dishevelment. 

That lamp is nice but maybe thing about increasing the scale and size of the light resonating from of it. All the lights right now are competing for dominance making no light seem more or less important that any other. This makes the focus of the piece a bit hazy and having one strong central light may help clear this up. 

Keep going! I cant wait to see more updates!
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    @cmc444 Thanks for the awesome feedback Clinton! I'll definitely reduce that stronger light then pull back on the lighting a bit till the other parts are complete. Till then will be working on that woodwork.  ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for that Eric. I'll convert to .jpg.
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Made some updates to the roof and to various pieces of wood that makes up the cart. I added bit of a bend to the roof and I added some meshes that help with the sudden cut off and flatness that it had previously. Though now it looks a slight bit more Asian in style, it does look better I think. The rest of the woodwork is a lot more subtle, which will be more noticeable later when I take close up screenshots.  

• sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Alright so I quickly added a ground plane and a cloth piece that's sort of hanging there. Trying to push this towards the finish line as I've been working on it for quite a while now. :P 

I just need to organize and polish up all the small assets and then finish up the lighting!

• sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Edit: I'm actually in Awe that I didn't see those floating corks till now. lol

Alrighty, So I'm heading towards the finish line for this guy. I completely reorganized the assets and did a bit more with the lighting in order to create a bit of focus on both side of the cart. Still finding it a bit hazy in the front so I may continue adjusting that a bit. 

Looking for any final bits of feedback now as I finish up!
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Alrighty so these are my final edits. Improved various small assets further and organized things a little more. Lighting is a tad bit more exaggerated than before in order to improve it a bit and make it look less stale. Improved the ground plane a bit and added mud to various lower areas of the cart. It was a bit of a rush to the finish line, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out. :)  

Any follow-up feedback is appreciated! Learned a lot working on this!