Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starting a New Project- Spined Micrathena Mount

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
Hey poly count,

been a while since posting on here but I came up with an Idea which spawned out of wanting to recreate some of the Warhammer fantasy models to get better at my skills and have some cool pieces should I want to get a 3D printer for making them into action figures to later paint, therefore I have started this thread to track my progress.

I thought of what I wanted to make, a long time ago while I was still at college I made a spider mount with a goblin rider, didn't turn out all that well but when you're new to 3dsmax and that was the pinnacle of 3d software at the time nothing really ever does. 

Since I have been messing with Zbrush a lot I wanted to get a project started that I could work on in my spare time after work. I decided to tackle the Spider mount once again, however this time make it something that really stands out.
This brought me to finding photos of the Spined Micrathena as seen below:

It is a unique looking spider and the spines can make this thing look menacing if dressed up in armor. In the end it will be my own interpretation of the Forest Goblin Spider Rider.

So far I have spent about 10 min on just blocking out the abdomen and seeing what will work best to make those nice geometric spines.  Still very much a WIP to get the correct shape, I know not much to look at now but it should start to take shape soon :)

I'm hoping with input from the community it will be enough to keep me on task (as all of us artists thrive on positive and negative feedback to keep going.) and in have a very awesome Forest Goblin on a spider mount complete with all of the cool bits and weaponry.

Cheers poly count!
And see you the next update :)

~Apoc