Home Quixel Megascans

Any plans for more Unity3d integration?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
philwinkel polycounter lvl 4
Hey, if megascans continues to be so awesome, I plan to integrate megascans pretty heavily into my unity3d pipeline. 

I am wondering what kind of plans you have for Unity3D integration?
Are you providing the bridge API , and end-users are expected to develop their own integration, or do you plan on having a fully integrated bridge -> Unity3d support? 

Right now the unity3d export is basically just copy pasting files into my unity project. Which still requires a lot of manual set up in unity.

The maps don't line up with unity's PBR textures, in particular the new Standard shader in unity 5 uses a weird metal (R) smoothness (A) map. and I believe the spec/gloss uses specular rgb / gloss A.  It would be great if megascans bridge could allow me to configure how these maps are exported, pack channels together, etc. Otherwise I have to export from megascans, and then pack all of the images for unity using other software.

One time consuming task in particular is plugging the texture maps into the Unity3d Material. This could be automated via your file naming convention, or the megascans JSON file. 

Do you have any plans for further Unity integration? Is that on the timeline anytime soon?  

At a minimum a user should be able to import a megascans assets, and automatically generate the material in unity, assign the material to meshes, etc. It should really generate unity prefabs for the 3d assets, assign the proper materials to the mesh, etc.

The reason I ask is basically if there's nothing on the timeline coming soon, i'll do it myself, perhaps open source it, it's something I need and I would be happy to contribute. However if you guys are working on it already or plan to in the near future, then it doesn't make sense for me to do it.

Thanks,
Phil

Replies