Home Technical Talk

What is the best PC for game asset creation?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
kasigawa vertex
Hey just wanted to know what kind of PC and hardware the professional game industry uses. I want to purchase or maybe build a new PC that hopefully won't ever give me any issues with software and  that will last me a long time.

Also are major game companies running their software from a network or are they using Linux with a Windows virtual machine?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    1TB SSD
    64GB RAM
    Geforce 1080
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Budget. Budget budget budget.

Pray tell, what is your budget?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    oglu said:
    1TB SSD
    64GB RAM
    Geforce 1080
    And don't forget to balance it out with a good display. Get a 4 core i7 if you aren't planning on using an offline render or baking lighting. Consider a 6-10 core i7 if you will do offline baking / baking lighting, depending on your budget. 
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex

No budget, just looking for information at the moment.
    For everyone else, thanks! This is great stuff!
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    kasigawa said:
    Also are major game companies running their software from a network or are they using Linux with a Windows virtual machine?
    What does this mean? What software are you asking about specifically?
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    @AtticusMars
    I have heard of companies operating multiple computers off a single network. This enables them to have a room full of computers that connects to a single central station that has a collection of software every computer on that network can operate from. This is common in universities and community colleges.

A virtual machine is an operating system within an operating system. It's a tool common for hackers and people who have Linux and want it to operate like windows or a mac. The reason for this is so that if it gets currupt or begins to run poorly, they can wipe the OS off their computer and restart their PC clean while still having a Linux OS to operate from.

My question is: 1. Do game developers operate on a network in case a computer wears out? 2. Do developers in the game industry use a virtual machine to prevent leaks or hackers from stealing data.

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I know what a VM is, this is the first I've ever heard of it in the context of game development though. I suspect most developers are just running regular windows installations.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    all bigger studios i worked in does use cloned workstations... 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    My mistake then, serves me right for speculating
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I assume what he meant was that big studios would clone their workstations from a master HDD, not through VM, so software management wouldnt be setup such that all workstations are just slaves to a master system. With that kind of setup you'd just re-clone the workstation if necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong here!

Some specific software like Houdini however has network based licenses which from what I understand you'd distribute from a local server to other computers on the network. Most software isn't like this though and you'd just install a specific key or use a subscription login, and licensing like that varies a lot in specific implementation.

As for managing files without worrying about computer problems: Ideally files would be shared within a private cloud (think dropbox but intranet) or actual cloud hosted, and in addition a revision control program for stuff like the actual game builds. You'd keep backups of everything.

Finally on buying a computer: You need a budget or it's all hypothetical. 1-2k USD will do you right but you don't need the best computer to do good work.
  • PolyHertz
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    Thank you for the posts.
    @PolyHertz This post was a brilliant idea! Thanks!

I'm considering to get:
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 
    Intel Core i7‑6700K 4 GHz Quad‑Core Processor
    Asus X99-AII motherboard
    Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR4
    Cooling: CORSAIR H110 GT 280mm Cp Water Cooling Kit
    Disk Drive: 24X DVD-RW Black Buy Bulk LG GH24NSD1
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast RMX Modular 1000W 80 Plus Gold
    HDD: WD 3.5 " SATA3 64MB

The rig should be more or less $3000. Maybe less on newegg.com.

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    you are just throwing money at it.
    You should get an SSD with enough capacity for your system and all the software plus the project-data your working on. 1TB should be ok. Also get another HDD with 8TB for the projects your no longer working on. And you should also buy an external HDD for backup.

I would also consider a quattro over the GTX 1080. And you should really get more than 16 GB Ram.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    @kasigawa There are a bunch of problems with that build.

First off, you can't use an X99 motherboard with an i7-6700. That board type is for CPUs that use the LGA 2011-3 socket, where as the 6700K uses a LGA 1151 socket.

The amount of RAM makes no sense. For 3D art that is essentially the minimum (ie. low-spec builds only). Why would you get a top of the line GPU and then only get an entry-level amount of ram?

That power supply is extreme overkill, and the rating is poor too. with a quad core CPU and single-GPU setup you wont need more then a 650w power supply. 750w would be enough for overclocking with plenty of headroom. Beyond that you're just wasting money. Also, you definitely want a power supply that's rated Platinum or Titanium, as they will last longer and reduce your power bill.

The hard drive you listed...you didn't list the most important aspect of it ; how much data it holds (normally at least 1tb). You also really need an SSD or M.2 drive these days, as 3D programs will be very slow to load otherwise, and apps that require a scratch disc may be especially painful to work with on a mechanical drive.

Take a look at the "high end" pc for $2200 I listed in the post linked above (it's under the "Suggested PC Setups" section), or just go here: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQnC6X
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I agree with @defragger

You don't really need all of that. It looks like you're going for overclocking which is not going to help you at all unless you're CPU rendering day and night. If "game asset creation" is all you're doing, $3k is a huge waste of money.

I would drop the water cooling and thus overclocking. Which also means you don't need a (craziness) 1000W psu.

Edit PolyHertz ninja'd me with a better post ;)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    defragger said:
    I would also consider a quattro over the GTX 1080.
    Why suggest that? So far as I know, the only real reasons to use a Quadro is more vram, 10-bit OpenGL support, and improved SolidWorks performance. He said he wants to know about PCs for the games industry, not arch viz / industrial design / print work. Besides, until the Quadro P5000/P6000 comes out they're not competitive performance wise (and even then their prices will be waaaay higher).
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I7
    $200 Compatiable Mobo
    64GB Ram
    GTX 1080
    1TB SSD + 3TB HDD
    550 Watt Gold Modular PSU
    Asus PB278Q
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    kabylake is starting to be released...

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-announced-kaby-lake-7th-gen-core-processors.html
    initially for mobile segment but shouldn't be too long for a i7-7700k release

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-spotted-in-sisoft-sandra-database.html

post 1000 :)
    wooHoo! ( perty poor ratio tho :( )
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    defragger said:

I would also consider a quattro over the GTX 1080. And you should really get more than 16 GB Ram.
    Vehemently disagree on the Quadro. 1080 any day. Agreed on the ram. I'm just about to double up to 64gigs as 32 just isn't enough for my workflow. I rarely have less than 5 ram-hungry applications running all the time. Ram is so cheap I don't see why not have as much as my mobo can handle?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm pretty sure the Quadro equivalent of the $600 GTX 1080 is $2000. That does not give you any performance benefit in any modeling application (non CAD) or game engine for game asset creation. 
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    mhhh... okay I didn´t know the quadros are performing so poorly.
    They are quite common in automotive construction and CAD in general. They can handle shitloads of data. High-poly for game can also be quite heavy.
    But I cant afford either of them anyway.
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    A customized Alienware Aurora looks good, I also think it's fairly in budget. I'm going to make plans for one of these bad boys.

"Alienware Aurora
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.2GHz
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 Founders Edition with 8GB GDDR5X each (NVIDIA SLI® Enabled)
    16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
    1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s
    Tray Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner
    Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Peformance Liquid Cooling
    Qualcomm DW1820 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1
    Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard
    Alienware Standard Optical Mouse
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016
    1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Onsite Service after Remote Diagnosis
    1 Year Accidental Damage Service

Dell Price$3,043.98"

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't get SLI, apps don't take advantage of it.

For $3000 it needs at least a 512GB SSD and 32GB of ram.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Lets not listen to any of the advice given and post a ridiculous build instead...
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @kasigawa you must have skipped over the numerous remarks above about the importance of Ram.......

Pre-built machines are a rip off. You're better off self-building. It's fun, quite simple, and cheaper.
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    @musashidan
    I suppose you could be right, I'm sure it would be much cheaper. However, the perk to this is that all the components are right there and all I have to do is request for a purchase and everything is prebuilt. I have built computers in the past but I can't say I enjoyed it. I can be very impatient at times when it comes to needing something instantly to get work done. I do agree, however. I'll be saving money so I have some time to make a decision.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 to no sli
    +1 to 32 gb of ram
    +1 to at LEAST a ~500TB SSD, for a build at this level 1TB would be better (only like $300 these days)
    +1 to 1000w PSU being overkill, ~700w 80+ is all you should need, though I would NOT build a system with a 1080 on a 550w psu as someone else suggested

Also, skip the "founder edition" of the 1080 if you can, afaik, it offers no real benefit over the stock model.
    Skip water cooling too, unless you plan on doing extreme overclocking and really know what your doing, watercooling isn't a great idea (if it leaks, it can fry your system)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

I  feel a lack of 16 gb Ram only when I do some photogrammetry work  with 200 mil poly objects.     In other cases it's usually enough to just  close a few redundant programs in background.  

Also Imo you don't need super hi end  video card. Remember you are going to make  games, not play them. The only reason for hi end video is  GPU renderers  like Octane or Redshift.     I bought 980Ti last year and hardly noticed any difference in  soft like Substance Painter/Designer or Photoshop.  All GPU enabled.

500gb SSD is absolutely necessary for drive C.      I have a Mac that runs from HDD and it's intolerably slow in comparison.       Keep Win7 if you still have it.     W10 is a pain in the a...

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @EarthQuake

Here's the peak (100% load) power draw of a GTX 1080 and a 6700k. If they're both being 100% utilized the total power draw between the two is 317 watts. 

I can't imagine that the Mobo / SSD / HDD would be more than another 100.

Maybe there's something I'm missing?

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A few reason people keep using or recommending higher watt PSUs than people need:

- People don't realize that PSUs have gotten better
    - Nvidia GPUs in particular have been lowering their TDPs across the board 
    - PSUs are one of the few components that actually degrade over time. 
    - PSUs power efficiency curve drops near it's max load, ~60% is generally the sweet spot.
    - There often isn't a price jump from watt ranges, why not get a 100W more if it's the same price and star rating
    - Overclocking
    - Most people want 100W+ headroom and some people want extra potential upgrade room, so they add on 200W

Honestly a 550W is more than enough you need for GTX 1080 if you never plan on doing SLI. It's probably the minimum I'd suggest just in case the GTX 1180 is back to almost 300W and you want to be able to upgrade. But if you can get a 650W or 700W similar PSU for the same price, feel free to get a bigger one to take advantage of the efficiency curve if you think you'll GPU and CPU will be stressed a lot. 

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni: I speak mostly from personal experience here. I had a 550w PSU and it worked fine until I paired it with a 3770 and 980, slightly lower wattage than the combo being discussed here. It was a quality brand, 80+ efficient PSU that I never had any problems with, but when I swapped my 770 for the 980 it would BSOD every time the GPU went to full load.

I replaced it with a 650 or 700w (can't remember) and the problem went away. So no, I would not put a 550w PSU in with a system that has a 1080. It's not like a 700w is significantly more expensive than a 550w anyway, and there is no real drawback to having more wattage than you need.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    These days I've been looking into smaller systems, and with GPUs being more efficient it is pretty amazing what you can power with 500-600w power supplies.
    https://hardforum.com/threads/kimera-industries-cerberus-the-18l-matx-usa-made-enclosure.1816110/page-9#post-1041123955

That being said, I generally agree with having a PSU that is a decent bit higher wattage than your max power needs, less load means less heat and less noise with the fans not having to run, or run at a very low RPM. You also have more room for expansion in the future.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @beefaroni: I speak mostly from personal experience here. I had a 550w PSU and it worked fine until I paired it with a 3770 and 980, slightly lower wattage than the combo being discussed here. It was a quality brand, 80+ efficient PSU that I never had any problems with, but when I swapped my 770 for the 980 it would BSOD every time the GPU went to full load.

I replaced it with a 650 or 700w (can't remember) and the problem went away. So no, I would not put a 550w PSU in with a system that has a 1080. It's not like a 700w is significantly more expensive than a 550w anyway, and there is no real drawback to having more wattage than you 
    Typically a PSU is supposed to just shut itself off immediately if the power draw is too high. There's plenty of other reasons it might have been causing BSOD, such as too much power draw on one 12v rail if it has multiple 12v rails,, a dud PSU that fails when being stressed, PSU degraded over time. We've all had hardware failures and it's impossible to tell exactly what went wrong by just making assumptions. I had an HDD that I found out a year after it died that model was prone to firmware issues where the board attached to the drive would just brick itself and the fix was just getting the manufacturer to swap out that part. And I was "sure" it had a mechanical problem because it made a weird noise the day it died. Don't let assumptions and limited personal experiences flavor your advice too much.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    kasigawa said:

No budget, just looking for information at the moment.
    For everyone else, thanks! This is great stuff!

I mean if you have no budget you could just double up on GTX 1080s and nothing will stand in their way

RAM? I made a mistake when I only bought 8G for this Rig. If again you have no budget and are ramming two 1080s in there you may as well go for 32G DDR4 RAM - which is absolutely overkill and probably won't score you more than a few extra frames per second but you have no budget so... =P
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    Well, I rather get a rig I'm going to benefit using for a long time, not overkill and go crazy by adding things that can help my but is rather unnecessary.
    However, to be on the crazy side, that would be an interesting idea. I would definitely cry if something went wrong with something that expensive. Along time ago I had a thunderbolt hit the side of my house. It completely fried my computer and left nothing but a smoldering motherboard. If that happened again that would be terribly ironic.